Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Distilled Water, salt additions and PH  (Read 7762 times)

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
Re: Distilled Water, salt additions and PH
« Reply #45 on: October 18, 2015, 11:06:06 am »
Here's all you need (Sounds like 5.2 with options...):

http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/brewing/brewing-ingredients/salts-finings/accumash

Anybody try this one yet?

Yeah, looks like the 2.0 version of 5.2.  As good as it sounds I think I'll pass. ;D
Jon H.

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #46 on: October 18, 2015, 11:29:19 am »
I read through the faq on the manufactures website. Sounds like prepackaged salts with something added to help buffer. $5 a batch is a bit pricey IMO.

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #47 on: October 21, 2015, 03:58:01 am »
With Brunwater in my computer, I don't feel the need to use some shotgun gimmick, either.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline accumash@gmail.com

• 1st Kit
« Reply #48 on: October 21, 2015, 08:51:11 am »
We are glad you are interested in ACCUmash. ACCUmash is not like the product mentioned above that promises to lock in your pH. ACCUmash is focused on targeting the aroma and taste profile for the style of beer you are brewing first and foremost. We have developed our formulations with repeat experimentation. Due to a small recipe range and thorough repeat testing, we were able to develop our formulations with the added benefit of coming close to the desired mash pH.

We invite you to try the product and contact us with any feedback you may have as we are always looking to improve. We have gained a significant amount of information from brewers on forums just like this. For any questions, please check out our FAQ page @ accu-mash.com or shoot us an email @ACCUmash@gmail.com.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2015, 09:03:43 am by accumash@gmail.com »

Offline mabrungard

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
« Reply #49 on: October 21, 2015, 11:59:05 am »
With Brunwater in my computer, I don't feel the need to use some shotgun gimmick, either.

While I predict that neither you or I have any desire to resort to a pre-packaged product like this, there are some people that just don't have the time, equipment, or interest to pursue our methods. For that reason, I don't fault this manufacturer for providing this product.
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #50 on: October 21, 2015, 12:27:23 pm »

While I predict that neither you or I have any desire to resort to a pre-packaged product like this, there are some people that just don't have the time, equipment, or interest to pursue our methods. For that reason, I don't fault this manufacturer for providing this product.
It does make it explicitly clear that this is to be used with distilled water. Even though the inputs and outputs aren't as detailed as what is in Brun'water, there are enough options to make me think they can get you to "close enough" range. And frankly, if I were selling kits this would be a nice "value-added" option to offer and may certainly improve my customers' beer.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

S. cerevisiae

« Reply #51 on: October 21, 2015, 12:43:12 pm »

Martin, what are you using for a scale?  I am using one of those cheap electronic jeweler's gram scales, but my TDS meter is telling me that its sub-gram measurements could use a little less error.  I am thinking about purchasing a mechanical triple-beam balance. 

Offline mabrungard

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
« Reply #52 on: October 21, 2015, 01:17:44 pm »
I use a triple beam Ohaus scale that was downsized to me from an old engineering firm I worked for. It reports down to 0.1 gram. It doesn't have high enough capacity for measuring grain additions, but its good for hop and mineral additions. I've got an electronic luggage scale that I use for measuring multi-pound grain additions. (yes, I checked its calibration before use!)
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #53 on: October 21, 2015, 01:26:45 pm »
I use an old reloading scale.  15.4 grains to the gram gives me pretty good accuracy.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

S. cerevisiae

« Reply #54 on: October 21, 2015, 01:49:53 pm »
I am using a hanging produce-type scale for weighing grain.  I just hang a bucket from it.    I use a tabletop Escali electronic scale for weighing small grain and hop measurements.  I am just looking for something accurate down to 0.1 grams, and a triple-beam balance should take care of that need fairly cheaply if I can find one used (if not, the new ones are not that expensive).
« Last Edit: October 21, 2015, 02:12:04 pm by S. cerevisiae »

Offline nicosan1

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #55 on: October 21, 2015, 04:07:10 pm »
with distilled which is pretty easy to measure, anyone have experience?

I recently started to use RO water, which is pretty close to distilled water mineral-wise.  Adjusting distilled water is like adjusting any other water supply.  With true distilled water, you should be able to enter 0s and the measured pH in the water report section of Bru'n Water.

My next beer is likely an Export Stout so might be a bit different given the dark malts but going to give this a try.