Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Gasthaus & Gosebrauerei Bayerischer Bahnhof Berliner-style Weisse  (Read 1309 times)

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
I'll get to the point - this is the best Berliner Weisse I've had, by far. Every BW I've tried always seems to have some flaw - not sour enough, funky kettle-sour off-flavors, too much cereal/grainy character, too strong, too watery, etc. This one is spot-on in what I'm looking for in a berliner.

The color is very pale straw, closer in color to Pinot Grigio than beer. A finger of pure white head sticks around for a short while before collapsing. Aroma is fresh lactic/lemon, with a hint of doughy pils malt. Flavor is bright citrus and lactic tang, with a clean finish that reveals hints of grain. Mouthfeel is light, but there is enough acid pucker to keep it from being watery-thin. The acidity is perfect. It is quite tart, but not down to "instant heartburn" level. It is a perfect beer to put down in mass quantity.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline brewinhard

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Gasthaus & Gosebrauerei Bayerischer Bahnhof Berliner-style Weisse
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2015, 04:27:22 pm »
Totally agree!  That is one of my favorite commecial BW's too.  It is somewhat hard to find in my area, but have always enjoyed it when I came across it.  It is a very crisp, clean version of the style which I try to emulate when brewing my own at home.  I even think their lacto can be cultured from the bottle (IIRC). 

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
Re: Gasthaus & Gosebrauerei Bayerischer Bahnhof Berliner-style Weisse
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2015, 06:20:16 pm »
Totally agree!  That is one of my favorite commecial BW's too.  It is somewhat hard to find in my area, but have always enjoyed it when I came across it.  It is a very crisp, clean version of the style which I try to emulate when brewing my own at home.  I even think their lacto can be cultured from the bottle (IIRC).
I'll have to give that a try in my next BW. Thanks for the tip!
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer