Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Carbonation Cap  (Read 1777 times)

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
Carbonation Cap
« on: October 21, 2015, 02:51:19 pm »
Finally bought one. Tried it out on my current pale ale and a peach sour I have going. Cool invention that I now wish I'd bought way back when. Its pretty valuable to be able to carb the FG sample and verify its really done

Offline tommymorris

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Carbonation Cap
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2015, 03:55:59 pm »
A lot of people use them when taking beer to an event. You can fill a bottle from the tap then pressurize to keep beer from going flat. You can carry half a bottle that way.

Easy growler replacement.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2015, 05:34:09 pm »
Cool idea.

I love mine already and actually need at least one more because I brew two at a time.

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2015, 04:45:48 am »
I broke down on a whim and bought four stainless versions.  They really are handy.  Now I siphon right to the end and take the last bit into PET bottles and carb this way.  Sometimes I get some trub because I get a bit aggressive with the siphoning, but just carb the bottle and let the gunk settle out and pour carefully - when its almost a half gallon, l figure what the heck, a few freebies!
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline toby

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Galvez, LA
    • Beer Judge Chronicles
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2015, 07:59:08 am »
lol...I remember before growlers used to be highly accessible ('95) we took a few carbonator caps and 2 liter bottles on a pub crawl and managed to get some of the places to fill them for us (original Andygator was the top prize, sigh).  Being homebrewers, we had a small CO2 tank with us.

S. cerevisiae

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2015, 09:06:24 am »
I have not seen anyone use a carbonation cap since the nineties. They used to be a popular way to bring kegged beer to a party.

Offline tommymorris

Carbonation Cap
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2015, 10:07:49 am »
I have not seen anyone use a carbonation cap since the nineties. They used to be a popular way to bring kegged beer to a party.
I went to homebrew club meeting a few weeks ago, my first time at that club, and most brewers brought keg beer in 2L bottles with carbonator caps. It's popular at that club.

Offline gspot

• Cellarman
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2015, 08:09:35 pm »
I've had three of those thangs for about 14 years. Combine it with the mini CO2 regulator I just got off the boat from China (literally) and you've got a cool little mini "keg system" for very little cash: http://amzn.com/B013QTGMGM

When I go visit family six hours away for several days and have a carload of kids and luggage and want my brother-in-law to try my latest beers and don't want to transport 5 gal kegs and co2 tank,  just fill up 2L soda bottles. The mini regulator let's you keep these things from going flat for the entire trip. Unfortunately the presentation isn't as nice as bottles, but I don't bottle anymore.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2015, 06:09:27 am »
I have an old plastic one. Someone at a club meeting had a new SS one, and it was shiny. Must. Resist. Temptation.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline coolman26

• Brewmaster
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2015, 06:37:43 am »
I have 3 of the plastic ones.  I always have some extra beer that is extra after filling the keg.  I just fill 2 liter bottles and carb it up.  I then remove the carb cap and stick the 2 liter cap on and give it to friends.  Much cheaper than the flip tops and such that never come back.
Jeff B