Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: lager recipe for lager-hater  (Read 8382 times)

Offline homoeccentricus

• Brewmaster General
  • A twerp from Antwerp
Re: lager recipe for lager-hater
« Reply #45 on: October 26, 2015, 03:26:29 pm »
Dortmunders don't exist anymore. You'll have to settle for a Helles Exportbeir from now on. So shall it be written, so shall it be done

Does Dortmund itself still exist?
Frank P.

Staggering on the shoulders of giant dwarfs.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #46 on: October 26, 2015, 03:33:15 pm »
Dortmunders don't exist anymore. You'll have to settle for a Helles Exportbeir from now on. So shall it be written, so shall it be done

Yeah, still scratching my head over that. Dort isn't any more like helles than it's like pils . Kind of fits in the niche in between the two IMO. Where they added new categories in other areas, just seems weird to think they needed to consolidate distinct lager styles. Whatever. I'm gonna call it Dort unless it goes to comp.
Jon H.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #47 on: October 26, 2015, 04:30:52 pm »
I believe they were tryin to keep up with the times. I've read that Munich Helles is a dying breed. More popular here among homebrewers than there. Who knows. Then I think we have abbreviated Munich Helles to just Helles and kind of made it a proper noun, where in Helles Exportbeir it's meant as a description. But it's a title now I guess. And round and round we go...

I agree. We know what Helles is and we know what Dortmunder is. Maybe one day we will have to escape the nomenclature and just describe everything.

Coincidentally my next brew day is a 5% bright German malt fwd beer with 2308 and a 6% bright German balanced beer with 2352.

Offline unclebrazzie

• Brewer
  • Edegem - Belgium
« Reply #48 on: October 27, 2015, 02:44:10 am »
I'm heading to Munich in February but until then I'll just keep it at "I don't like German lagers like helles".

Not only because I take pity on poor homoeccentricus' pariah status, but, well, because I don't. Never saw much point to them besides being quaffable and beer.
All truth is fiction.
--Don Quichote

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #49 on: October 27, 2015, 04:13:07 pm »

Never saw much point to them besides being quaffable and beer.
You say this like it's a bad thing. There's a big difference between Bud Light and a good German Helles.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #50 on: October 27, 2015, 04:39:44 pm »
You say this like it's a bad thing. There's a big difference between Bud Light and a good German Helles.

+1.  Or a good bock, doppelbock, dunkel, etc.  Too broad a class to generalize.
Jon H.

Offline homoeccentricus

• Brewmaster General
  • A twerp from Antwerp
« Reply #51 on: October 27, 2015, 05:38:46 pm »
Either there is a degree of subtlety in lagers that I miss, or there's an absence of subtlety that you folks all miss.
Frank P.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #52 on: October 27, 2015, 06:22:29 pm »
Either there is a degree of subtlety in lagers that I miss, or there's an absence of subtlety that you folks all miss.

I think there are degrees of subtlety you are missing. I can fawn over the graininess and simplicity of a wonderfully brewed Helles (or Kolsch), especially on a hot summer day. I love tasting that clean malt and graininess of a well crafted, though certainly simple, beer. The complexity is in it's simplicity, because the yeast flavors do not get in the way and you can taste how delicious the simple malt bill actually is.

We could go round and round about it. Whatevs. Drink what you want, it really doesn't effect me any. But I do think that if you can't taste the subtle complexity of a well balanced, albeit simple, lager. You are really missing out on something wonderful. Especially on a mid summer afternoon after, say, a long bike ride.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #53 on: October 27, 2015, 07:44:06 pm »
Yep. What he said^^^^

Offline unclebrazzie

• Brewer
  • Edegem - Belgium
« Reply #54 on: October 28, 2015, 02:54:39 am »
The irony is that Germany and its Helleses are just a fart away from both HE's and my own doorstep, yet you Murkans seem to be so much more affluently stocked with Helles than we are :(
All truth is fiction.
--Don Quichote

Offline homoeccentricus

• Brewmaster General
  • A twerp from Antwerp
« Reply #55 on: October 28, 2015, 03:48:34 am »
Helles is to beer what a classic French baguette is to bread. Sure, there's lots of other great breads in the world, including stuff like pizzas with all kinds of crazy and delicious toppings...but when you think "bread," what is the first thing that comes to mind? To me, it's a baguette, no question. The crackle, chew, and subtle yet deep flavor of the crust combined with the soft, fluffy pillows of the inside crumb carrying the flavors of fresh grain and the slightest note of the yeast's influence...but the most amazing thing is the transformation of the raw ingredients into a final product which is so much greater than the sum of its parts. There is no other bread which so elegantly captures the heart and soul of what it means to be "bread."

Thank you for sharing that with me. I've been on a low-carb diet for two weeks now.  :'(
Frank P.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #56 on: October 28, 2015, 07:27:39 am »
The irony is that Germany and its Helleses are just a fart away from both HE's and my own doorstep, yet you Murkans seem to be so much more affluently stocked with Helles than we are :(

I don't find it very ironic. I think you two are just overly snobbish. :)

Offline homoeccentricus

• Brewmaster General
  • A twerp from Antwerp
« Reply #57 on: October 28, 2015, 08:04:22 am »

We are used to drinking 1 pH lambics. Our taste buds are gone.
Frank P.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #58 on: October 28, 2015, 09:15:58 am »

We are used to drinking 1 pH lambics. Our taste buds are gone.

Ha! Can respect that. ;)

Offline homoeccentricus

• Brewmaster General
  • A twerp from Antwerp
« Reply #59 on: October 28, 2015, 10:40:26 am »
Does this look OK?

Recipe: Dort, ein Dort!
Brewer: Homo Eccentricus
Style: Dortmunder Export

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 20.01 l
Post Boil Volume: 17.68 l
Batch Size (fermenter): 15.00 l   
Bottling Volume: 13.50 l
Estimated OG: 1.053 SG
Estimated Color: 8.6 EBC
Estimated IBU: 28.7 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 72.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 81.6 %
Boil Time: 70 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt                   Name                                     Type          #        %/IBU         
3.00 kg               Pilsner (Weyermann) (3.3 EBC)            Grain         1        86.0 %       
0.35 kg               Munich I (Weyermann) (14.0 EBC)          Grain         2        10.0 %       
0.07 kg               Acidulated (Weyermann) (3.5 EBC)         Grain         3        2.0 %         
0.07 kg               Melanoidin (Weyermann) (59.1 EBC)        Grain         4        2.0 %         
12.00 g               Mandarina Bavaria [8.50 %] - Boil 60.0 m Hop           5        15.9 IBUs     
12.00 g               Mandarina Bavaria [8.50 %] - Boil 20.0 m Hop           6        9.6 IBUs     
12.00 g               Mandarina Bavaria [8.50 %] - Boil 5.0 mi Hop           7        3.2 IBUs     
12.00 g               Mandarina Bavaria [8.50 %] - Steep/Whirl Hop           8        0.0 IBUs     
1.0 pkg               Bohemian Lager (Wyeast Labs #2124) [124. Yeast         9        -             

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Medium Body, No Mash Out
Total Grain Weight: 3.49 kg
----------------------------
Name              Description                             Step Temperat Step Time     
Mash In           Add 9.10 l of water at 73.1 C           66.7 C        60 min       

Sparge: Fly sparge with 14.91 l water at 75.6 C
Notes:
------

Demineralized water with 50 ppm CaCl2

Fermentation:
- Pitch at 12°C
- When 50% attenuation  is reached, bump temp to 18°C
- When  FG is stable, ramp temp down to 0°C, leave for 5 days
- Add gelatin, leave for 48 hours
- Keg
Frank P.