Author Topic: Ukulele Mods  (Read 1132 times)

RPIScotty

Ukulele Mods
« on: October 22, 2015, 06:38:18 PM »
I'm looking to improve the playability of my cheap ukulele. So far I've given it a fairly decent setup (dressed bridge and nut slots). Looking for a solid, cheap set of tuners, maybe craft a new bridge and get some new strings.

Any players out there with suggestions?

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
    • View Profile
Re: Ukulele Mods
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2015, 07:06:15 PM »
I tinker a little on baritone uke, basically a 4 string guitar. Can keep a beat with double bass playing 1s and 5s and a little walking. A little six string. And I took up the square neck resophonic last winter, though I lost most of it this summer. Gettibg that time of the year again to brush up. I'm not any good at any of it but its a fun hobby. I stomp my way through a couple dozen old country songs. The inlaws play old country and bluegrass. Its a hoot when they are here. Nothing makes a little trio soundvlike something like the bass

RPIScotty

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2015, 07:08:28 PM »
Uke is fun because it really pushes you to sing and play at the same time, which is something a bit more difficult on the six string. The tabs at doctoruke.com are fantastic. Fun american songbook type songs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2015, 08:00:25 PM »
I sing while playing six string (if you call it singing) can't seem to make it happen on bass though. Not coordinated enough. Geddi and Sting amaze me with that skill. I don't even try with the dobro unless I'm just playing accompaniment chops

Offline erockrph

• Official Poobah of No Life.
  • Chepachet, RI
    • View Profile
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2015, 08:18:05 PM »
I sing while playing six string (if you call it singing) can't seem to make it happen on bass though. Not coordinated enough. Geddi and Sting amaze me with that skill. I don't even try with the dobro unless I'm just playing accompaniment chops
To this day I contest that Les Claypool is human. No human being can play Tommy the Cat and sing at the same time.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline HoosierBrew

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2015, 09:18:12 PM »
To this day I contest that Les Claypool is human. No human being can play Tommy the Cat and sing at the same time.

Yeah, he's on a whole different level. Just crazy.
Jon H.

RPIScotty

« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2015, 09:43:02 PM »

One thing he doesn't do is play ukulele.

I kid. Never was a big Primus fan. I guess I just never really got into it.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2015, 09:52:45 PM »
Primus? Is he related to Bocephus?

Offline HoosierBrew

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2015, 10:07:06 PM »

One thing he doesn't do is play ukulele.

I kid. Never was a big Primus fan. I guess I just never really got into it.

Yeah, Primus was never my favorite band (though I liked them), but the guy's talent is beyond belief.
Jon H.

S. cerevisiae

« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2015, 01:47:02 AM »

How do I get the time back that I wasted watching a video of the tune?  :)

RPIScotty

« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2015, 02:21:07 AM »
Watching or listening to Primus is a chore.

Offline 69franx

• Bloatarian Brewing League
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2015, 02:24:26 AM »
Never forget that "Jerry was a race car driver" who had a bocephus sticker on his 442
Frank L.
Fermenting:
Conditioning:
In keg:
In Bottles:  
In the works: Hopefully brewing 10 gallons of Pilsner tomorrow for a family reunion in July, then back to IPA and  a barleywine to age

Offline 69franx

• Bloatarian Brewing League
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2015, 02:25:03 AM »
And he would light em up just for fun
Frank L.
Fermenting:
Conditioning:
In keg:
In Bottles:  
In the works: Hopefully brewing 10 gallons of Pilsner tomorrow for a family reunion in July, then back to IPA and  a barleywine to age

S. cerevisiae

« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2015, 02:51:20 AM »
Do any you guys listen to John Sykes?  That's a name that many older American guitarists have never heard before, but they have heard his work.  He recorded the guitar parts on Whitesnake's U.S. debut album (Whitesnake recorded several albums with Micky Moody and Bernie Marsden before John joined the band).  Most Americans believe that Vivian Campbell and Adrian Vandenberg recorded that album because they were in the MTV videos and the original U.S. touring band, but John Sykes did the guitar work on that album.  Bernie Marsden wrote Whitesnake's first U.S. hit "Here I Go Again."  The tune originally appeared on an earlier album called Saints and Sinners. John made the tune much beefier than the original recording.

Here's John Sykes perfoming the tune "In The Still of the Night" in 1995: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cWn_p0jxGMs

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2015, 03:16:34 AM »
Thats cool, but this is more my bag. Gregg Booth showing off a little. Gregg's kid is a great up and coming bassist playing with Frank Solivan and Dirty Kitchen last I heard.

https://youtu.be/1jv7KklKa4w