Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: flavor contribution from roasted grain added at sparge  (Read 1985 times)

Online Iliff Ave

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
flavor contribution from roasted grain added at sparge
« on: October 22, 2015, 01:44:16 pm »
I am looking to get mostly color from a dark roasted grain like carafa special III but would also like a bit of flavor to transfer to the final beer. When adding during the sparge I assume some flavor be transferred?

I have considered adding near the end of the mash but don't want to mess with my mash pH.
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline mabrungard

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
Re: flavor contribution from roasted grain added at sparge
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2015, 02:13:54 pm »
If color is your primary goal, that technique is probably desirable. The flavor contributions will be reduced by the late addition. You can read more about the pluses and minuses of the technique on Bru'n Water's Facebook page.
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks

Online Iliff Ave

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2015, 02:17:25 pm »
If color is your primary goal, that technique is probably desirable. The flavor contributions will be reduced by the late addition. You can read more about the pluses and minuses of the technique on Bru'n Water's Facebook page.

Thanks Martin! Color with a bit of flavor is my main goal.

Offline blatz

• Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2015, 02:21:32 pm »

i'm nearing keg time for a schwartzbier that I did this method with - (you commented on the recipe actually goschman) - i got just hints of the aroma and flavor of the midnight wheat while extracting most of the color i wanted - so far, so good relative to what i was shooting for.
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Online Iliff Ave

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2015, 02:25:15 pm »

i'm nearing keg time for a schwartzbier that I did this method with - (you commented on the recipe actually goschman) - i got just hints of the aroma and flavor of the midnight wheat while extracting most of the color i wanted - so far, so good relative to what i was shooting for.

Good to know! Update that thread and let me know how it turns out.

I am planning another wacky brew inspired by a local brewery here so it seems this might be the best method to get me what I am looking for.

Online Iliff Ave

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2015, 03:01:40 pm »
If adding the dark grains during the sparge would I adjust my water profile based on the grains in the mash? So even though the final beer will be dark brown, I would use a 'yellow' profile'?

Offline toby

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Galvez, LA
    • Beer Judge Chronicles
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2015, 06:51:10 pm »
Yes, you ignore the dark grains from a water chemistry standpoint since they're not present for a significant time in the mash.

Online Iliff Ave

« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2015, 08:43:09 am »
Yes, you ignore the dark grains from a water chemistry standpoint since they're not present for a significant time in the mash.

Thanks. Seems logical. The color of the final beer just threw me off.

I emailed the brewery to see if they have any tips in regards to the beer that I am trying to resemble.

Offline tryabeer

• 1st Kit
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2016, 05:39:14 am »
I am looking to get mostly color from a dark roasted grain like carafa special III but would also like a bit of flavor to transfer to the final beer. When adding during the sparge I assume some flavor be transferred?

I have considered adding near the end of the mash but don't want to mess with my mash pH.

it is not a good idea. It is very difficult to transfer a bit of flavor to final beer. But if you try to do it, wish you luck.

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2016, 10:15:07 am »

My experience is that you will get a moderate amount of flavor and a bit of roast when adding Carafa Special (though I usually use the II and not the III) during the sparge (and I'm referring to batch sparging).
Sometimes you just can't get enough - JAMC

Online Iliff Ave

« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2016, 10:17:23 am »

it is not a good idea. It is very difficult to transfer a bit of flavor to final beer. But if you try to do it, wish you luck.

Huh? I expect to get flavor but less than if I conducted my normal 60 minute mash with the roasted malt. For it not being a good idea, it seems that a lot of people do it will decent success.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2016, 10:19:30 am by goschman »

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2016, 11:10:15 am »
as we discussed-try it both ways and see what you prefer or get based upon what you are looking for....going to be the true test.

edit: if it ends up too little by throwing it in at the end, or too much if mashed entire time, you can modify and try somewhere in between...say like last 20 minutes of mash.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2016, 11:12:23 am by Wort-H.O.G. »
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Harveys-Brewhaus/405092862905115

http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?title=The_Science_of_Mashing

Serving:        In Process:
Vienna IPA          O'Fest
Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next:
Ger Pils
O'Fest

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2016, 11:15:05 am »
as we discussed-try it both ways and see what you prefer or get based upon what you are looking for....going to be the true test.

Totally agree. Anecdotal advice only goes so far - no substitute for trying it out yourself. And that goes for most things in brewing, for that matter.
Jon H.