Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: soaking oak cubes in red wine  (Read 3619 times)

Offline homoeccentricus

• Brewmaster General
  • A twerp from Antwerp
soaking oak cubes in red wine
« on: October 22, 2015, 03:54:17 pm »
This has been asked before, but no answer was given. We're brewing the base beer in a week or so, so here's the question again: what happens if you soak oak cubes in red wine for - say - two weeks? Will the wine in the cubes spoil? Would it be better to add red wine at bottling time? This is for a Russian River Supplication clone.
Frank P.

Staggering on the shoulders of giant dwarfs.

Offline dbeechum

• Global Moderator
  • I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Pasadena, CA
    • Experimental Brewing
Re: soaking oak cubes in red wine
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2015, 10:43:20 pm »
This has been asked before, but no answer was given. We're brewing the base beer in a week or so, so here's the question again: what happens if you soak oak cubes in red wine for - say - two weeks? Will the wine in the cubes spoil? Would it be better to add red wine at bottling time? This is for a Russian River Supplication clone.

I've soaked cubes in wine for 2 years with no ill effects. two weeks will be fine!
Drew Beechum - Maltosefalcons.com
- Vote in the AHA GC Election! - http://bit.ly/1aV9GVd  -
-----
Burbling:
Gnome is in the Details
*Experimental Brewing - The Book*
Tap:
Peanut Butter Jelly Time
Tupelo Mead
Farmhouse Brett Saison

Offline unclebrazzie

• Brewer
  • Edegem - Belgium
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2015, 01:02:38 am »
A wine-loving friend of mine reasoned as such:

if you're going to soak the cubes in wine, the wine will take up oxygen and "spoil". Sure, your cubes will taste like wine, but the catch it that they'll taste like oxidised wine which is probably not what we want.
He proposed simply adding the cubes, and blending with freshly openend wine at bottling time.

Soaking cubes in wine for two years...now I can't imagine that not having a negative effect on the wine flavour, but perhaps the oak flavour have become so powerful that the wine flavour doesn't register much. In which case, any cheap ass wine would do, right?
All truth is fiction.
--Don Quichote

Offline homoeccentricus

• Brewmaster General
  • A twerp from Antwerp
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2015, 02:46:12 am »
In which case, any cheap ass wine would do, right?
::) Your cheap ass has been removed from this collabrew. We need a good bottle of Pinot Noir. Plus another brew buddy.
Frank P.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2015, 07:13:14 am »

if you're going to soak the cubes in wine, the wine will take up oxygen and "spoil". Sure, your cubes will taste like wine, but the catch it that they'll taste like oxidised wine which is probably not what we want.
He proposed simply adding the cubes, and blending with freshly openend wine at bottling time.

Soaking cubes in wine for two years...now I can't imagine that not having a negative effect on the wine flavour, but perhaps the oak flavour have become so powerful that the wine flavour doesn't register much. In which case, any cheap ass wine would do, right?
Put the oak and wine in a soda bottle with a carbonator cap. Hit it with CO2 and purge the headspace several times. That should minimize your O2 concerns.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline homoeccentricus

• Brewmaster General
  • A twerp from Antwerp
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2015, 07:16:11 am »

Put the oak and wine in a soda bottle with a carbonator cap. Hit it with CO2 and purge the headspace several times. That should minimize your O2 concerns.

Yes, been thinking a bit, and I was going to put cubes and wine in a keg under a CO2 blanket for two weeks.
Frank P.

Offline homoeccentricus

• Brewmaster General
  • A twerp from Antwerp
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2015, 07:24:51 am »
Hmm, come to think of it. Will it matter that the wine gets carbonated?
Frank P.

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2015, 07:39:40 am »
Could also use a vacuum sealer with a canning jar attachment. I don't know if either are popular/available in Belgium.

Offline brewinhard

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2015, 05:23:11 pm »
I have 1 oz of french oak med toast cubes aging on pinot noir for 3 mos now in a mason jar.  I boiled the cubes a few rounds first to minimize any harsh tannins, sanitized a small mason jar/lid, then added the cubes and poured the wine over them directly to the top of the jar.  I have not opened it and do not plan on opening it until I add just the cubes to a flanders red that is aging in my basement.  I don't think the wine will be that oxidized. 

Offline homoeccentricus

• Brewmaster General
  • A twerp from Antwerp
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2015, 08:24:58 am »
Kegged them to be sure.
Frank P.

Offline unclebrazzie

• Brewer
  • Edegem - Belgium
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2015, 02:45:16 am »

::) Your cheap ass has been removed from this collabrew. We need a good bottle of Pinot Noir. Plus another brew buddy.

:(

Does that mean you don't want my CarafaIIISpecial any more?
All truth is fiction.
--Don Quichote

Offline bengelbrau

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2015, 07:44:29 am »
the wine will take up oxygen and "spoil"

I have made over 1200 gallons of wine, and have never had an oxidation issue from adding oak chips (which have a much higher surface area than cubes, thus more opportunity for oxidation)

Offline homoeccentricus

• Brewmaster General
  • A twerp from Antwerp
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2015, 09:00:03 am »

I have made over 1200 gallons of wine, and have never had an oxidation issue from adding oak chips (which have a much higher surface area than cubes, thus more opportunity for oxidation)

If I open a bottle and pour it in a vessel, why would it not oxidize?
Frank P.

Offline bengelbrau

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2015, 09:12:41 am »
If I open a bottle and pour it in a vessel, why would it not oxidize?

Any oxidation is far below my detection threshold.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2015, 09:47:08 am »

I don't think the oxidation concern if from the oak itself, but rather from pouring the wine into another vessel in open air. It is the exposure to air that is the concern.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer