Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Storing Dry Yeast  (Read 2258 times)

RPIScotty

Storing Dry Yeast
« on: October 22, 2015, 05:52:30 pm »
I typically (my handful of Belgian brews) use liquid yeast but am planning on using dry yeast for some upcoming beers.

Any special considerations for handling, storing or using dry yeast?

Sent via Tapatalk

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Storing Dry Yeast
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2015, 06:23:32 pm »
Keep in the fridge. Hydrate or rehydrate, I don't care. ;)

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2015, 06:25:13 pm »
I keep it in the butter tray of my keg fridge.

Proper rehydration before use is a good idea. I pour the dry yeast over 4 oz luke warm water. Leave that 30 min. Stir. Add 3-4 oz wort from the batch. Leave that 30 min. Then pitch.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2015, 09:17:34 pm »
I have never perceived a benefit with rehydrating dry yeast compared to just sprinking it dry onto your wort. Since it's easier to sprinkle, I just go that route. You can certainly rehydrate if you like, but I don't feel that the extra step is necessary.

As far as storage goes, just keep the packets in the fridge. I always keep a couple of packets of US-05, 34/70 and 71B (for meads and ciders) in the fridge at all times for impromptu brewdays.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

S. cerevisiae

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2015, 07:55:14 am »
Dry yeast can even be kept in a freezer because there is no water to rupture the cells.

RPIScotty

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2015, 08:02:37 am »
Dry yeast can even be kept in a freezer because there is no water to rupture the cells.

Do the basic calculations for liquid yeast viability apply to dry yeast?

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2015, 09:25:24 am »

Do the basic calculations for liquid yeast viability apply to dry yeast?
No. Mr Malty has a dry yeast viability calculator. It is a much slower rate of loss of viability.

Offline brulosopher

• Brewmaster
  • They who drink beer will think beer
    • Brülosophy
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2015, 09:50:10 pm »

I have never perceived a benefit with rehydrating dry yeast compared to just sprinking it dry onto your wort. Since it's easier to sprinkle, I just go that route. You can certainly rehydrate if you like, but I don't feel that the extra step is necessary.

As far as storage goes, just keep the packets in the fridge. I always keep a couple of packets of US-05, 34/70 and 71B (for meads and ciders) in the fridge at all times for impromptu brewdays.

Uh huh.

http://brulosophy.com/2014/09/15/sprinkled-vs-rehydrated-dry-yeast-exbeeriment-results/
All of my dry yeast is in the freezer.

Offline Footballandhops

• Assistant Brewer
Storing Dry Yeast
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2015, 10:16:30 pm »
I keep my dry yeast in my crotch...the local colony can be reused just by simple methods of building the local colony to a pitchable number

Though now that I think about it these yeast are in a somewhat humid and worm environment
Batch Sparging Bottle Dreggggg Harvesting Son-ova Biznatch Raging Against the Machine

https://itun.es/us/PN5dq?i=269457903

Offline duboman

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2015, 06:14:55 am »
I keep my dry yeast in my crotch...the local colony can be reused just by simple methods of building the local colony to a pitchable number

Though now that I think about it these yeast are in a somewhat humid and worm environment
Thinking this thread just got derailed.....

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Peace....Love......Beer......

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the craft of beer since 2010

RPIScotty

« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2015, 06:34:10 am »

The time stamp doesn't lie. You can always tell who is hammered or overtired when they post!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2015, 06:56:18 am »

The time stamp doesn't lie. You can always tell who is hammered or overtired when they post!
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer