Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Buddy brought me Dry Yeast??? Little Help???  (Read 919 times)

Offline JJeffers09

• Senior Brewmaster
Buddy brought me Dry Yeast??? Little Help???
« on: October 24, 2015, 12:24:29 pm »
Does Dry yeast work like liquid yeast?  Starter or no starter?  Pitching in 4 hours
« Last Edit: October 24, 2015, 12:42:07 pm by JJeffers09 »
"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Benjamin Franklin

AHA Member
Indiana Brewers Union (IBU)

Offline BrewArk

• Brewmaster
  • Rick - Newark, California
    • BrewArk
Re: Buddy brought me Dry Yeast??? Little Help???
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2015, 12:49:02 pm »
Read the directions for "re-hydrating" it.  That's all you need. (no starter)
Beer...Now there's a temporary solution!

Na ZdravĂ­

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2015, 12:49:21 pm »
No starter. You can rehydrate if you'd like, but I normally don't bother. What is your target OG?

Offline JJeffers09

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2015, 04:23:42 pm »
SOO I went with the sweet wort and dry pitched for 3 hours.  OG was 1.083, and the package just said pitch into the wort.  I totally did not feel right about it, so I got it going in some Sweet wort with 1450ml starter.  Starter was only DME, hoping it would get the yeast going.  The batch is going super strong, so I am keeping fingers crossed.  Hit above the mark on OG.  Plan was 1.077 on a Big I.B.A.  Really should be called "black" versus "brown" he got 7oz of Black Prince and 7oz Pale Chocolate in 7lbs Pale and 7 oz Victory and 3.5 oz Crystal 55L with 4lbs Extra Light DME 2lbs of Brown Sugar.  Our conversion seems to have gotten too high, our PRE-Boil was 1.145 with the 2lbs Dark Brown Sugar, which I thought it was too high (his beer his way though).  Which I figured it would be better with DCS but he wanted the Molasses over the dark syrup.  Oh well to each his own.  I did do a 3rd running and got 1.030 out of it though with 6 gallons.  Trying to decide what to spice it up with, one mans trash is another mans experiment I guess. Thanks for the shout out. 
« Last Edit: October 25, 2015, 04:36:24 pm by JJeffers09 »
"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Benjamin Franklin

AHA Member
Indiana Brewers Union (IBU)