Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Ballast Point files for IPO  (Read 1500 times)

Offline BrewingRover

• Brewmaster
  • Brewing in Flossmoor, IL
Ballast Point files for IPO
« on: October 19, 2015, 02:42:33 pm »
Interesting to see this:
http://www.brewbound.com/news/ballast-point-prepares-for-ipo

What was more interesting was their filing, which says 53% of the sales are from Sculpin and Grapefruit Sculpin. That wouldn't bode well for me as an investor.
It's such a fine line between stupid and clever.

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
Re: Ballast Point files for IPO
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2015, 03:35:10 pm »
I don't think that number is out of line for any brewery with a clear flagship product like that. BBC probably earns a significant sum from Sam Adams Boston Lager, Sierra Nevada from SNPA, etc.

Ballast Point is diversifying into spirits which is another rising craft industry with the potential for even greater profits than beer. Once they really get that arm up and running into wide distribution that will probably become a significant portion of profits if only still a small portion of total revenue.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline blatz

• Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2015, 08:17:40 pm »
I think he meant he doesn't like sculpin.  Me on the other hand see it as a top 5 favorite
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline BrewingRover

• Brewmaster
  • Brewing in Flossmoor, IL
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2015, 09:29:36 am »
I think he meant he doesn't like sculpin.  Me on the other hand see it as a top 5 favorite

I was thinking more of how Sculpin goes for $15 a six pack, vs $8 or $9 for Samuel Adams or Sierra Nevada. I love it, but I don't buy it all that often.
It's such a fine line between stupid and clever.

Offline Delo

• Brewer
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2015, 09:49:26 am »
So I am not the only one that choked at $15 for a six pack for Sculpin. I thought it was just jacked up at the store in our town.   I did find a store that had it for $13, which still surprises me to spend for a 6 pack.  It was then that I realized I really don’t buy beer that often anymore.
Mark

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2015, 02:27:24 pm »
I agree the price is too high. It was super hard to get at one time and now it just sits on the shelves.
It's not a popularity contest, it's beer!

Offline blatz

• Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2015, 02:40:10 pm »
I agree the price is too high. It was super hard to get at one time and now it just sits on the shelves.

yeah, but its also still considerably less per ounce than most decent bombers is how i see it.

sculpin and GF sculpin flies off the shelves here.  last few times i've bought it, it was less than 3 weeks since packaging.

that said, i love that I will be able to buy a 12 of Celebration for the same price ($13.99)in a couple weeks or so.

As an investor, i'd be happy with their margins.  Sculpin has been that price for a long time, and they have been able to signficantly increase sales of that line yet maintain the profit margin.  Surprising that they are going the public rather than private equity route like many of the others recently before them - public companies offer a whole different set of headaches.
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2015, 02:49:31 pm »
Yea, Celebration time. Always gets me in the mood for Christmas. A half rack of Celebration and DVDs of Charlie Brown, Cindy Loo Who, Yukon Cornelius.... priceless!
« Last Edit: October 22, 2015, 02:52:30 pm by klickitat jim »

Offline theDarkSide

• Derry, NH
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2015, 02:52:24 pm »
Now that their bottles have been seen on The Big Bang Theory, sales should skyrocket
Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Offline Stevie

« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2015, 02:58:47 pm »

Now that their bottles have been seen on The Big Bang Theory, sales should skyrocket
I noticed that too.

Offline 69franx

• Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2015, 03:12:55 pm »
That really was great product placement! And it's $15 a sixer here in greater Cincinnati as well. Nice treat every once in a while though
Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)