Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Keeping Mash at temp  (Read 4537 times)

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Keeping Mash at temp
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2015, 09:50:24 am »
The majority of conversion happens fairly quickly so the temperature after 30 minutes or more shouldn't have that big an effect.
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Offline tommymorris

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2015, 10:03:39 am »

Many (most?) hydrometers are calibrated at 60°
I see both 60 and 68F referred to often. Mine is calibrated at 60F, also.  Beersmith Mobile assumes 60F. Brew Pal, another app I own, assumes 68F but is adjustable.

Offline duboman

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2015, 02:40:33 pm »
Yup, mis-typed, mine is 60 also

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Peace....Love......Beer......

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the craft of beer since 2010

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2015, 11:12:28 am »
I pre-heated the mashtun by pouring boiling water in it and letting it sit for a few minutes. I then poured out the water before mashing in. When I mashed in, I stirred until there were no dry or clumpy grain. I closed the mashtun and opened it about once every ten minutes to take a temperature reading. I will most definitely try the blanket idea and also not opening the mashtun as often. @duboman - what do you mean by "thermometer is properly calibrated."?

which is why your temp dropped.  Stir thoroughly, close it up and leave it alone.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline tonydl77

• 1st Kit
« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2015, 12:53:55 pm »
Thank you very much for all the comments. Very helpful! I now have a slightly different issue. I think my fermentation temperature is too low. I have the fermenter wrapped in two towels and a coat inside a closet, but I do not notice any "bubbling" in the air-lock(three-piece). We keep the house at around 63 degrees Fahrenheit and I notice the closet is a bit cooler inside. Any suggestions on how to increase the temperature? Or should I just leave it a week or two longer than normal? Or should I post a new thread instead?
It is a one gallon All-grain IPA

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2015, 12:55:23 pm »
Thank you very much for all the comments. Very helpful! I now have a slightly different issue. I think my fermentation temperature is too low. I have the fermenter wrapped in two towels and a coat inside a closet, but I do not notice any "bubbling" in the air-lock(three-piece). We keep the house at around 63 degrees Fahrenheit and I notice the closet is a bit cooler inside. Any suggestions on how to increase the temperature? Or should I just leave it a week or two longer than normal? Or should I post a new thread instead?

Air lock bubbles are not a reliable indicator of fermentation.  there are various reasons you may or may not see bubbles.  Open up the fermenter and see if you see anything.  Or take a gravity reading.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Stevie

« Reply #21 on: October 26, 2015, 01:06:14 pm »
If you are using a bucket, the lids don't always seal. No biggie as long as stuff can't fall in.

Offline Philbrew

• Brewmaster
« Reply #22 on: November 07, 2015, 02:16:02 pm »
Ha, my cheepie seems to be calibrated for 84*  :(
Many of us would be on a strict liquid diet if it weren't for pretzels.

Offline Stevie

« Reply #23 on: November 07, 2015, 02:25:22 pm »

Really? Is that what it says on the stem? Or do you mean it reads 0 at 84°? To calibrate, measure water at whatever temp is printed on the stem and do the math.

Offline brewinhard

« Reply #24 on: November 07, 2015, 03:43:53 pm »

If you are fermenting in a bucket with only one gallon of wort then you won't see airlock movement for a long time simply b/c of all the extra headspace in there that the CO2 has to fill up before pushing the airlock up.  What are you fermenting in? 

Once fermentation is underway, the exothermic reactions in the fermenting wort should warm up the fermenter at least by a couple degrees (depending on how cold the ambient air is where your fermenter is) and be just about right for fermentation for your IPA.

Offline Philbrew

• Brewmaster
« Reply #25 on: November 07, 2015, 05:09:55 pm »

Really? Is that what it says on the stem? Or do you mean it reads 0 at 84°? To calibrate, measure water at whatever temp is printed on the stem and do the math.
Yeah, it reads 0 at 84 with distilled water.  So I did a conversion chart.  Then I bought a digital refractometer.
Many of us would be on a strict liquid diet if it weren't for pretzels.

Offline santoch

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Riverview, FL
« Reply #26 on: November 07, 2015, 11:07:51 pm »
What style is this beer?  63F is NOT a problem for many beers and yeasts.
In particular, Beers brewed with the Cal Ale and other American Ale yeast strains will turn out fantastic if you can keep the temp down there.  Many other styles that benefit from cleaner profiles and controlled ester levels will do well in the low 60s too (like Irish Red, Kolsch, Scottish ales among others).

Looking for a club near my new house
BJCP GM3/Mead Judge