Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: not sure what this is...thoughts?  (Read 3020 times)

Offline astrivian

• Assistant Brewer
  • Denver, CO
not sure what this is...thoughts?
« on: June 09, 2010, 09:05:43 pm »
I was going for a Dubbel when i created this, but i don't think it qualifies. It is a pretty good beer, particularly for a random thing i threw together. It is very strong, and probably could benefit from aging for quite a bit, but i always drink it too quickly :)

Mercurius

5 gallon batch
OG: 1.129
FG: 1.020
ABV: 16%
IBU: 36

GRAIN/EXTRACT:
Munich II (I think it was Briess) --- 3 lbs (16.2%)
Castle Special B ---------------------  2 lbs (10.8%)
Briess Crystal 60 --------------------  1 lb (5.4%)
Amber LME ---------------------------  8 lbs (43.2%)
Corn sugar ----------------------------  3 lbs (16.2%)
Dark Candi Syrup -------------------  1.5 lbs (8.1%)

HOPS (pellets)
Chinook ---- 1 oz ---- all of boil
Willamette -- 1 oz --- 30 min from end

YEAST:   WLP 500 - trappist ale

MASH: 60 minutes at 147, 20 minutes at 155 (give or take a few degrees)
BOIL: 60 minutes. I boil down to 4 gallons then pitch a full gallon of yeast starter (included in the recipe, i just carve off 1 lb of extract for the starter)

Oaked for 3 weeks using a medium toast spiral.

Not carbonated. Served at room temp.

What do you think? Does anything jump out at you as room for improvement?
Never trust a skinny chef and never trust a sober brewer.

Offline tygo

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Sterling, VA
Re: not sure what this is...thoughts?
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2010, 09:31:46 pm »
Are you putting all of that extract, sugar, and syrup into the boil right at the beginning?  What boil volume are you starting with?
Clint
Wort Hogs

Offline kylekohlmorgen

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Saint Louis, MO
    • The South House Pilot Brewery
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2010, 12:35:11 pm »
Its beer!

One great rule of brewing... Never name a beer until you've tried it.
Twitter/Instagram: @southhousebrew

Recipes, Brett/Bacteria Experiments: http://SouthHouseBeer.com/

Offline astrivian

• Assistant Brewer
  • Denver, CO
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2010, 08:26:55 pm »
Are you putting all of that extract, sugar, and syrup into the boil right at the beginning?  What boil volume are you starting with?

I usually add it all at the end. I tend to over sparge so i boil down from about 8 gallons to 4 then pitch a gallon of starter. But the hops and such are not in the boil the whole time. I boil down to where i need to be then start the 60 minute timer. I just realized, from another thread actually, that i have been over sparging and should cut down the boil time. I will do this in the future.

You're right about the name thing. I came up with Mercurius after i had it the first time. One 22 oz bottle does a good job of getting me happy :)

Personally, i think this is pretty good, although it still needs some tweaking here and there (some age on it for example). I might brew it a few more times then enter it into a local competition. I will probably lose but what the hell.

Offline Hokerer

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Manassas, VA
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2010, 04:26:44 pm »
I might brew it a few more times then enter it into a local competition. I will probably lose but what the hell.

Hey, don't sweat not winning when you enter a competition.  The real benefit is the critiques you'll get from qualified beer judges on your scoresheets.  The comments can help you to make better beer.  A medal is a bonus but it's still worthwhile even if you don't get one.
Joe

Offline astrivian

• Assistant Brewer
  • Denver, CO
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2010, 07:00:43 pm »
Hey, don't sweat not winning when you enter a competition.  The real benefit is the critiques you'll get from qualified beer judges on your scoresheets.  The comments can help you to make better beer.  A medal is a bonus but it's still worthwhile even if you don't get one.

I agree man.

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2010, 08:55:59 pm »
Wow...... This recipe is INSANE.  It doesn't even remotely fit into ANY style guidelines.  The closest way to describe this might be to call it an IMPERIAL Belgian Dark Strong Ale, or a QUINTUPEL!

I do like the name.  It sounds like something I would say after drinking one.

Does it cost like $70 to make a batch of this stuff??

But it doesn't fit into a barleywine sort of style.  This looks to me more like a huge malt bomb, with just a tiny hint of hop bitterness to play a background supporting role.  Right??

This stuff is going to age really well.  Let a few bottles sit for 10, even 20+ years.  Dang, this is some interesting stuff.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline astrivian

• Assistant Brewer
  • Denver, CO
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2010, 07:42:31 pm »
Wow...... This recipe is INSANE.  It doesn't even remotely fit into ANY style guidelines.  The closest way to describe this might be to call it an IMPERIAL Belgian Dark Strong Ale, or a QUINTUPEL!

I do like the name.  It sounds like something I would say after drinking one.

Does it cost like $70 to make a batch of this stuff??

But it doesn't fit into a barleywine sort of style.  This looks to me more like a huge malt bomb, with just a tiny hint of hop bitterness to play a background supporting role.  Right??

This stuff is going to age really well.  Let a few bottles sit for 10, even 20+ years.  Dang, this is some interesting stuff.

haha thanks. Yes, it is rather expensive to brew, around $65 to $70 for 5 gallons. You're right about the flavor as well, that is why i added the oak, to help give it something extra except for maltiness. I would love to age this, but i have to discipline myself to NOT drink it all! It is very tempting. When it comes to a competition, i might have to enter it into a "WTF?" category :)