Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Poll

What's more appealing?

Hersbrucker
Crystal/Mt Hood 50:50
No Pants?

Author Topic: What is more appealing to you? Hersbrucker or Mt Hood/Crystal  (Read 2653 times)

Offline blatz

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
Another Pils is coming up and I am trying to use up what I have on hand this summer before I reload in the fall.

Having a bit of a tough time deciding between:

Hersbrucker or

50:50 Crystal/Mt Hood

*this is for the late additions only.

I usually use a mix of either Hallertau or Mt Hood and Tettnanger, but I am low on the two german hops, so I'm looking to 'speriment. 

Magnum for the 60 min addition always.

What's your vote? 

The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
Re: What is more appealing to you? Hersbrucker or Mt Hood/Crystal
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2010, 02:58:45 pm »
I've been messing around with American Hallertauer Cultivars with my kolsch and, while there have been some good and interesting brews with Vangaurd, Mt Hood and Crystal, none have been as good as Hersbrucker or Mittlefruh for my tastes.

Offline dak0415

• Brewmaster
  • Winston-Salem, NC
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2010, 03:07:49 pm »
Mt. Hood has a piney character that I don't care for.  Haven't tried Vanguard but made a Lite American Lager with Liberty and it was fantastic.  I've made Oktoberfests with Liberty and Tetnang and they were great too.

Dave
Dave Koenig
Anything worth doing - is worth overdoing!

Offline pyrite

• Brewer
  • Davis, CA
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2010, 05:22:55 pm »
I've never tried crystal hops in a Pilsner, but I have tried Mt. Hood and Hersbrucker.  I love Hersbrucker it's like candi, but on a Pilsner I would choose the Mt. Hood hop combination, because Hersbrucker is really smooth, where as Mt. Hood had a bite to it.
If you don't get in over your head, how are you ever going to know how tall you are.