General Category > Beer Recipes

not sure what this is...thoughts?

(1/2) > >>

astrivian:
I was going for a Dubbel when i created this, but i don't think it qualifies. It is a pretty good beer, particularly for a random thing i threw together. It is very strong, and probably could benefit from aging for quite a bit, but i always drink it too quickly :)

Mercurius

5 gallon batch
OG: 1.129
FG: 1.020
ABV: 16%
IBU: 36

GRAIN/EXTRACT:
Munich II (I think it was Briess) --- 3 lbs (16.2%)
Castle Special B ---------------------  2 lbs (10.8%)
Briess Crystal 60 --------------------  1 lb (5.4%)
Amber LME ---------------------------  8 lbs (43.2%)
Corn sugar ----------------------------  3 lbs (16.2%)
Dark Candi Syrup -------------------  1.5 lbs (8.1%)

HOPS (pellets)
Chinook ---- 1 oz ---- all of boil
Willamette -- 1 oz --- 30 min from end

YEAST:   WLP 500 - trappist ale

MASH: 60 minutes at 147, 20 minutes at 155 (give or take a few degrees)
BOIL: 60 minutes. I boil down to 4 gallons then pitch a full gallon of yeast starter (included in the recipe, i just carve off 1 lb of extract for the starter)

Oaked for 3 weeks using a medium toast spiral.

Not carbonated. Served at room temp.

What do you think? Does anything jump out at you as room for improvement?

tygo:
Are you putting all of that extract, sugar, and syrup into the boil right at the beginning?  What boil volume are you starting with?

kylekohlmorgen:
Its beer!

One great rule of brewing... Never name a beer until you've tried it.

astrivian:

--- Quote from: tygo on June 09, 2010, 08:31:46 PM ---Are you putting all of that extract, sugar, and syrup into the boil right at the beginning?  What boil volume are you starting with?

--- End quote ---

I usually add it all at the end. I tend to over sparge so i boil down from about 8 gallons to 4 then pitch a gallon of starter. But the hops and such are not in the boil the whole time. I boil down to where i need to be then start the 60 minute timer. I just realized, from another thread actually, that i have been over sparging and should cut down the boil time. I will do this in the future.

You're right about the name thing. I came up with Mercurius after i had it the first time. One 22 oz bottle does a good job of getting me happy :)

Personally, i think this is pretty good, although it still needs some tweaking here and there (some age on it for example). I might brew it a few more times then enter it into a local competition. I will probably lose but what the hell.

hokerer:

--- Quote from: astrivian on June 10, 2010, 07:26:55 PM ---I might brew it a few more times then enter it into a local competition. I will probably lose but what the hell.

--- End quote ---

Hey, don't sweat not winning when you enter a competition.  The real benefit is the critiques you'll get from qualified beer judges on your scoresheets.  The comments can help you to make better beer.  A medal is a bonus but it's still worthwhile even if you don't get one.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version