Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: A Little Help please  (Read 2493 times)

Offline Frankenbrew

• Brewmaster
Re: A Little Help please
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2015, 03:02:33 pm »
+1

Also try Brewing Classic Styles by Jamil Zainesheff. It's loaded with simple recipes that will get you in the ballpark, and then you can tweak them to your liking. When you use someone else's recipe and you tweak it, it becomes your recipe.
Frank C.

And thereof comes the proverb: 'Blessing of your
heart, you brew good ale.'

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2015, 04:20:24 pm »
Also try Brewing Classic Styles by Jamil Zainesheff. It's loaded with simple recipes that will get you in the ballpark, and then you can tweak them to your liking. When you use someone else's recipe and you tweak it, it becomes your recipe.

Good advice. BCS is a good starting point for a style you haven't brewed before. But I always tweaked the recipes to suit my tastes and make it mine.
Jon H.

Offline Koehler

• 1st Kit
  • RDWHAHB
« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2015, 04:29:38 pm »
Thanks for all the help every one I will def do a little more research before I start making my own. My pre boil volume was ~5 gallons

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Fermenting: Amber Ale

On Tap: Brown Ale

Next to Brew: Octoberfest

Offline Koehler

• 1st Kit
  • RDWHAHB
« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2015, 07:42:55 pm »
That almost certainly explains the low attenuation, but not the ~30% mash efficiency. I didn't see anything about stirring - are you relying on the RIMS alone to mash in? What's the lautering setup? What was the pre-boil volume? It should have been edit: ~6 gal.

I only stirred the grains once or twice through out the mash. Lautering is mashing out at 170 while recirculating the wort.
Fermenting: Amber Ale

On Tap: Brown Ale

Next to Brew: Octoberfest