Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: SS Brewtech pressurized transfers  (Read 2160 times)

Offline lenphallock

• Cellarman
SS Brewtech pressurized transfers
« on: December 13, 2015, 09:41:11 pm »
Has anyone used these conical fermentors with the pressurized transfer adapters? I tried to do one today for the first time and left it pressurized for about 15 minutes and got maybe a pint into my key. I pulled the pin on the keg lid. I even tried to put the fermentor higher than the keg. I ended up taking the ball lock keg connector off and pushed it that way. Kind of defeats the purpose though. Any one else have some advice, I'm sure it's something stupid I'm missing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline mchrispen

• Brewmaster
    • Accidentalis Brewing Blog
Re: SS Brewtech pressurized transfers
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2015, 07:29:12 am »
You are using this? http://www.ssbrewtech.com/collections/accessories/products/1-5-tc-pressurized-transfer-fitting

I have 2 of the half barrel chronicals - but built my own low pressure regulator to push. I get a pretty good transfer rate with just 1-2 PSI. After blowing off my lid (http://accidentalis.com/archives/719), I can only hold about 5 PSI for any period of time, but really don't need to. The chronicals sit high enough to gravity feed anyway... the CO2 transfer speeds things along.

I keg off the racking arm. So cold crash, pull trub/yeast from the bottom port, pull just enough from the racking port to visually confirm the flow is good and clear. Then rack into a purged corny. I open the PRV on the corney as well as connecting a spare QD to the gas out.

It sounds like you might have some yeast or hops plugging your racking arm.
Matt Chrispen
Sometime Austin Zealot
Blogging from the garage @ accidentalis.com
>> Bru'n Water Spreadsheet Walkthroughs<<
>> Bru'n Water Subscriber Version 5.3 Spreadsheet Walkthrough <<

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2015, 07:57:09 am »
It sounds like you might have some yeast or hops plugging your racking arm.

This.  I keg straight from my Chronical, and sometimes I pressurize with co2, sometimes not.  Anytime there are dry hops, I remove the post from the keg, attach a hose barb on the end of a silicone tube which I put directly into the top of the 'beverage out' tube.  Hops will plug the ball lock every time.
Steve
BJCP #D1667

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.” ― G.K. Chesterton

Offline lenphallock

• Cellarman
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2015, 06:02:46 pm »
I guess that makes since at the ball lock. It went fine from the racking cane. In your experience, even with pellets and cold crashing?

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2015, 09:36:40 am »
I guess that makes since at the ball lock. It went fine from the racking cane. In your experience, even with pellets and cold crashing?

Yes.  I have only used pellets and almost always cold crash.
Steve
BJCP #D1667

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.” ― G.K. Chesterton

Offline goose

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2015, 07:49:33 am »
Regarding plugging the ball lock on a corney with hop residue, I built a transfer system that uses an inline screen filter (you can get them from Grainger with either a 30, 50 or 80 mesh stainless screen) that works really well.  I use this every time I transfer a beer that has been dry hopped with pellets to a keg.  I haven't tried dry hopping in my half barrel chronical yet since I normally transfer to carboys for dry hopping so that the chronical can be used for the next batch of beer during the dry hopping period but plan to on a future batch.

As far as pressurized transfers from the chronical, it works great for me with a few PSI of CO2.  I set the sealed corney on a scale, open the relief valve,  and fill until the keg gets to about 49-49.5 lbs total weight and I'm done.  I tried filling to 50 lbs but that put the beer level right at the gas in tube in the keg and could cause some of the beer to come back into the CO2 line.
Goose Steingass
Wooster, OH
Society of Akron Area Zymurgists (SAAZ)
Wayne County Brew Club
Mansfield Brew Club
BJCP Certified