Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Experimenting with hops  (Read 1814 times)

Offline DW

• Assistant Brewer
Experimenting with hops
« on: October 25, 2015, 08:24:44 am »
Something I've wanted to do for a long time is to take a batch of wort and break it up into smaller quantities to test individual ingredients without having to make full batches for each ingredient.  I need some help.  I want to split up a batch 3 ways:
1.  Single Hop Nugget
2. Single Hop Cascade
3.  Both Nugget and Cascade

How does one split up a batch based on hops? 
1. Should I make a 6-7 gallon batch of wort then divide it out 3 ways before starting the boil?  I can't boil all three batches at once. 
2. Would it be ok to let some of it sit while I boil one batch at a time? 
3.  If I made 6 gallons and divided it into 2 gallon batches, would I need to still boil the same length of time (60minutes)?
4.  I made another post in the recipe section for a few additional questions....Thanks!!!!

Offline tesgüino

• Assistant Brewer
Re: Experimenting with hops
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2015, 08:43:38 am »
Here's and easy way. On the full boil, bitter with Nugget. Late hop with the Cascade. After fermentation is complete, split into two 3 gallon carboys. Dry hop one with Nugget, the other with Cascade. Two ounce minimum for each. A lot of aroma and perceived flavor come from dry hopping. This should give you a good idea of what each hop has to offer. You could blend in the glass to get an idea of what the combination will produce. Not the perfect solution, but easier than splitting the boil.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2015, 09:09:07 am »
Good advice.  Or you could split into just two boils (not three) by bittering both with Nugget (Cascade is nothing special as a boil hop). Add late boil (or whirlpool hops) with Cascade in one batch and do the same with Nugget in the other. Then dry hop each. It'll be good. 
Jon H.

Offline DW

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2015, 10:08:19 am »
Here's and easy way. On the full boil, bitter with Nugget. Late hop with the Cascade. After fermentation is complete, split into two 3 gallon carboys. Dry hop one with Nugget, the other with Cascade. Two ounce minimum for each. A lot of aroma and perceived flavor come from dry hopping. This should give you a good idea of what each hop has to offer. You could blend in the glass to get an idea of what the combination will produce. Not the perfect solution, but easier than splitting the boil.

Sounds like good advice to me!  Could I use just any old IPA recipe and substitute the hops with nugget/cascade (matching the IBUs, of course).  ----

Offline norcaljp

• Assistant Brewer
  • I prefer to drink my bread, thank you
    • The Brewins
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2015, 11:40:46 am »
Good advice.  Or you could split into just two boils (not three) by bittering both with Nugget (Cascade is nothing special as a boil hop). Add late boil (or whirlpool hops) with Cascade in one batch and do the same with Nugget in the other. Then dry hop each. It'll be good.

This would seem to be ideal to me. If you then want to do a nugget/cascade mix, just take a gallon from each and blend those into your third fermenter before adding your yeast.

As for the boil. You would still want to keep a consistent boil time. Not saying you have to do 60 min, but I wouldn't think the smaller size should impact the boil time you want. The impact it does have is with boil off. If, for example, you're boiling off 1 gallon per hour, you'll need more total wort. Since you're boiling two 3 gallon batches, instead of one 6 gallon batch, you will end up with 2 gallons boiled off in this example. Although, if you're using a smaller pot that should also help decrease the boil off a bit.
Joel Prater

I prefer to drink my bread, thank you

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2015, 12:02:49 pm »
I prefer to go the extract route for this because it is so much quicker. There's no mash, and a 15-minute boil is all you need. I'm brewing 4 single-hop batches later this week and I will be done in less time than a single all-grain batch.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2015, 12:06:57 pm »
Nugget is pretty boring solo. It's fine, just not exciting. M

Offline norcaljp

• Assistant Brewer
  • I prefer to drink my bread, thank you
    • The Brewins
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2015, 12:25:36 pm »
I prefer to go the extract route for this because it is so much quicker. There's no mash, and a 15-minute boil is all you need. I'm brewing 4 single-hop batches later this week and I will be done in less time than a single all-grain batch.

Good point. I never think of extract. Although, I've never done an extract beer. Sounds like I may want to look into it for some small experimental batches.
Joel Prater

I prefer to drink my bread, thank you

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2015, 12:39:57 pm »

My preference. too. I wasn't thinking in terms of that. It's clearly quicker and easier.
Jon H.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2015, 01:00:30 pm »
Now that I have a carb cap, if I were going to do a smash test of new hops, I would do a series of very small extract batches. Then just quick carb a sample of each.

Offline DW

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2015, 05:42:55 pm »

Do you get adequate hop bitterness with only a 10minute boil?

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2015, 06:13:34 pm »

Do you get adequate hop bitterness with only a 10minute boil?
If you use enough hops you do. And if you're taste-testing hops then you should be using plenty of late hops anyways.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer