Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: remove ale yeast in Supplication clone  (Read 1005 times)

Offline homoeccentricus

• Brewmaster General
  • A twerp from Antwerp
remove ale yeast in Supplication clone
« on: October 27, 2015, 09:03:37 am »
My brewmates and myself are finally going to start brewing that Supplication clone. Question: after the first fermentation, is it really necessary to remove as much of the ale yeast as possible before the sour stuff is added? If so, why and how should we do it, and if not, why does Russian River do it (by means of a centrifuge iirc)?
Frank P.

Staggering on the shoulders of giant dwarfs.

Offline sambates

• Cellarman
Re: remove ale yeast in Supplication clone
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2015, 02:46:24 pm »
Typically if I do a primary with an ale strain and then add bugs, I will leave it in the primary for 3-4 weeks. That will give me enough time to let the majority of yeast settle out, but the bugs and bacteria will eat the yeast (that may still be in suspension when transferring to secondary) cells and that will prevent autolysis. You could try cold crashing too. You just don't want to take a majority of the yeast in. RR probably does it because they can and it gives a more consistent product.

Also, mash high! I typically shoot for 156º-158º when I make a sour beer because it will create more long chain dextrines for the bugs to eat. Also, I've used maltodextrine in the past as well.

I believe RR uses the WLP530 Abbey Ale strain for primary and they have their own house bug blend. Another option is using a strain that has a saccharomyces and bacteria in one blend (roselare/lambic blends). ECY20 Bug County is KILLER if you can get your hands on it.

A good resource is emailing/listening to the Sour Hour on the BN w/ Jay Goodwin of The Rare Barrel.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2015, 02:48:03 pm by sambates »
Tap: Brandy Barrel Sour, Brett IPA, Tart Cherry Berliner, Sour Coffee Porter, Witbier, Helles Bock, Helles Bock Braggot, Strawberry "Nebraskambic," Raspberry Flanders
Secondary: OatRye Blonde, Plout Sour, Blueberry Ginger Sour
Primary:Belgian Dark Strong, Scottish Wee Heavy, American Session Wild Ale, Brandy Barrel "Lincolnambic"