Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Out of ideas  (Read 5398 times)

Offline gymrat

• Brewmaster
  • Ralph's Brewery
Re: Out of ideas
« Reply #30 on: October 19, 2015, 03:50:06 pm »
I finally got frustrated and dumped my beer out so I could tear the keg down and see what was going on. Here is what I found

I emailed Farmhouse a few days ago. I am still waiting to see if they will make it right.

I'm assuming it's not the rusty painted expanded metal.  Sucks that you dumped the beer, but couldn't you see that crack when you pulled the dip tube?

I've had a keg that gave me nothing but foam if there was too much pressure in the keg.  It finally stopped pouring altogether last week.  I had some spare dip tubes and was going to try replacing that piece to see if that helped but I got the bright idea to swap out the post first.  Turns out the problem was the poppet.  Long story short, it's useful to swap parts (assuming the same keg manufacturer) to see if you can narrow the problem down.

I had the dip tube out twice before but missed this. I thought I had checked everything. I didn't have an empty keg to put the beer in. I was getting nothing but foam making the beer about undrinkable anyway. I wanted to find out what was wrong with the keg.
Ralph's Brewery
Topeka, KS

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #31 on: October 19, 2015, 03:52:39 pm »
I didn't have an empty keg to put the beer in.

More kegs is the answer.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline gymrat

• Brewmaster
  • Ralph's Brewery
« Reply #32 on: October 19, 2015, 05:53:15 pm »
That's always the answer. I have 6 of them now. Where does it end Joe...where does it end
Ralph's Brewery
Topeka, KS

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #33 on: October 19, 2015, 06:13:30 pm »
I have something like 20 and I've been able to control the urge to get more.

Basically, I'm out of space.

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #34 on: October 20, 2015, 11:40:06 am »
I have something like 20 and I've been able to control the urge to get more.

Basically, I'm out of space.
I have 8, and now I'm wanting to get a bunch of 2.5 gallon kegs.
Jesse

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #35 on: October 20, 2015, 12:30:24 pm »
Of my 20, six or 8 are 2.5 to 3 gallons.  They're nice for split batches.

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #36 on: October 20, 2015, 12:37:11 pm »
Of my 20, six or 8 are 2.5 to 3 gallons.  They're nice for split batches.
And that's just what I want to do, is either split 5 gallon batches or just do more 3 gallon batches. I haven't been drinking my beer very fast lately, so I'm thinking I need to scale down a bit. Putting 2.5 gallons in a 5 gallon keg is fine, it just irks me a little to use the extra co2 for purging the headspace.
Jesse

Offline gymrat

• Brewmaster
  • Ralph's Brewery
« Reply #37 on: November 05, 2015, 04:52:12 am »
It had been over two weeks since I emailed Farmhouse on this issue. They said they would do something but weren't specific then I never heard from them again. I emailed them on Monday with no response. So yesterday I did some searching and found a liquid side dip tube brand new at morebeer.com. $16.99 plus 6.67 for shipping.
Lesson learned, upon receiving any new keg I am going to disassemble it and inspect it immediately out of the box so I can ship it back if it is defective. Shipping it back would have been cheaper than $24 for a dip tube, $7 for a new "in" post, and the loss of almost half a keg of beer.
Ralph's Brewery
Topeka, KS

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #38 on: November 05, 2015, 08:33:24 am »
AiH sells used dip tubes for something like $5.  I recently picked up 4 of them.  Two, I plan to cut down for some of my smaller kegs where the existing tube doesn't go as low as I like.  The other two I figured were insurance for the future, and helped amortize the shipping.

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #39 on: November 05, 2015, 09:36:11 am »
AiH sells used dip tubes for something like $5.  I recently picked up 4 of them.  Two, I plan to cut down for some of my smaller kegs where the existing tube doesn't go as low as I like.  The other two I figured were insurance for the future, and helped amortize the shipping.
They appear to be out of stock. Dang. I have bought those from them before, which was nice.
I'm really surprised Farmhouse hasn't gotten about to you, Gymrat. Keep contacting them, I think they'll make it right eventually.
Jesse

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #40 on: November 05, 2015, 09:43:49 am »
They appear to be out of stock. Dang. I have bought those from them before, which was nice.
I'm really surprised Farmhouse hasn't gotten about to you, Gymrat. Keep contacting them, I think they'll make it right eventually.

Maybe I got the last four!  Still need to clean them and all that, but once the weather gets cold I'll have more indoor time for that kind of stuff.

Offline Stevie

« Reply #41 on: November 05, 2015, 09:45:58 am »
Email them. They let me know when they had more available. The person I was working with said they scavenge them from dead used kegs, so they come and go.

Offline gymrat

• Brewmaster
  • Ralph's Brewery
« Reply #42 on: November 05, 2015, 07:11:59 pm »

I have given up on them. I dropped $24 on a new dip tube before I read Joe's post. I have a beer in my conicle and need an available keg.
Ralph's Brewery
Topeka, KS

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
« Reply #43 on: November 06, 2015, 10:30:27 am »
I don't know how much they charge for shipping, but you can get dip tubes for 5 gallon kegs for $11.25 from CHI.  They also have good prices on used keg lids and carry some of the harder to find items, such as both sizes of racetrack lids.  It's not a bad resource.

http://www.chicompany.net/
Sometimes you just can't get enough - JAMC