Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Newbie All Grain Brewer  (Read 1153 times)

Offline mattmartin3053

• 1st Kit
Newbie All Grain Brewer
« on: March 03, 2016, 02:51:59 pm »
I am in the process of getting my set up for all grain brewing and I have a couple questions.  First, I just bought a brew kettle

which I will use for brewing, and it has two pre-welded holes I am going to put a valve in one and a thermometer/sight glass in the other.  Can I use this sight glass and put the thermometer in it? 

https://www.morebeer.com/products/stainless-weldless-sight-gauge-16.html

https://www.morebeer.com/products/stainless-weldless-thermometer-6.html

I know the pre-welded holes are 1/2 inch so they should fit.

Also, now that I have a bigger kettle and a 10-gallon mash tun, if I were to brew a ten-gallon batch could I use two different fermentors?  I have 2- 7-gallon ones, and would I just pitch two yeasts like I did with the 5-gallon batches that I use to do?

Any help is much appreciated.  Thank you.
-Matt
@mmartin3053 on Twitter

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Newbie All Grain Brewer
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2016, 03:02:26 pm »
The thermometer should work in the sight glass, but you will want to get a thermometer with a longer probe to ensure it is in contact with the majority of the wort. The six inch probe would likely work well. You also need to find the regular NPT versions as you don't need weldless.

As for splitting, do it all the time. I have 6 gallon fermenters and brew 10 gallons every fourth batch or so. Using different yeasts is a nice way to experiment.

Offline flbrewer

• Brewmaster General
Re: Newbie All Grain Brewer
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2016, 03:03:09 pm »
Welcome Matt! IMO, sight glasses are kinda worthless and just another thing to clean. Thermometers are ok, but I end up using a hand held most of the time anyways. I didn't see the kettle, but I would def. have a ball valve installed if there isn't one.

As far as your 10 gallon mash tun...that may not be big enough to brew 10 gallon batches with (same with your kettle).

You're idea of splitting the batches though makes sense, easy to do.

Offline mattmartin3053

• 1st Kit
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2016, 03:17:39 pm »
Thank you for the info and apparently I need to learn how to insert a picture!

HA
-Matt
@mmartin3053 on Twitter

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2016, 03:23:37 pm »
I agree regarding the sight glass on a kettle. Some people love them, but I'd rather not have to clean it.

I love having a thermometer on my kettle. It is useful when heating my water as well as when chilling after the boil. Not 100% needed, but I think it is useful.