Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: First wort hopping and whirlpool  (Read 3274 times)

Offline dilluh98

• Brewmaster
Re: First wort hopping and whirlpool
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2015, 10:41:32 am »
I'll give this a try myself in my next hoppy batch. Curious, if you feel you get more hop flavor by lowering the temp before adding your whirlpool/steeping hops, or is it just a method to limit bitterness without losing flavor?

If, for example, I'm brewing a DIPA that is clocking in around 100 IBU, then I'm not too worried about the  bitterness. If it also adds flavor, then.........
I drop the temp solely to limit IBU's. For my massively hopped IPA's where I don't need to cap the bitterness at a certain level, then my only hop addition is at flameout after all boiling has stopped. I put in all my hops and whirlpool for 90 minutes. The hop flavor you get from this is immense. I certainly don't feel like I'm losing any hop character versus a 170F whirlpool, but I'm also using over 4oz/gallon of hops in this recipe so I don't know if you'd even notice a minor difference.

One thing I've noticed about an all-whirlpool hopped beer is that the bittering seems a lot smoother than you'd expect. I had my IPA measured and it was 98 IBU, but it tasted closer to a smooth 60 IBUs to my palate.

Interesting strategy. This is referred to as 'hop bursting' if I'm not mistaken? Assuming similar IBUs and same hops. What do you perceive to be the flavor differences between a beer that is FWH for all the IBUs and then 170F whirlpooled vs a beer that uses this massive hop bursting strategy?

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2015, 11:09:01 am »
I'll give this a try myself in my next hoppy batch. Curious, if you feel you get more hop flavor by lowering the temp before adding your whirlpool/steeping hops, or is it just a method to limit bitterness without losing flavor?

If, for example, I'm brewing a DIPA that is clocking in around 100 IBU, then I'm not too worried about the  bitterness. If it also adds flavor, then.........
I drop the temp solely to limit IBU's. For my massively hopped IPA's where I don't need to cap the bitterness at a certain level, then my only hop addition is at flameout after all boiling has stopped. I put in all my hops and whirlpool for 90 minutes. The hop flavor you get from this is immense. I certainly don't feel like I'm losing any hop character versus a 170F whirlpool, but I'm also using over 4oz/gallon of hops in this recipe so I don't know if you'd even notice a minor difference.

One thing I've noticed about an all-whirlpool hopped beer is that the bittering seems a lot smoother than you'd expect. I had my IPA measured and it was 98 IBU, but it tasted closer to a smooth 60 IBUs to my palate.

Interesting strategy. This is referred to as 'hop bursting' if I'm not mistaken? Assuming similar IBUs and same hops. What do you perceive to be the flavor differences between a beer that is FWH for all the IBUs and then 170F whirlpooled vs a beer that uses this massive hop bursting strategy?
I believe "hop bursting" is generally referring to using all your hops in the late boil (at 15 minutes or less), rather than just whirlpool hopping.

As far as the comparison between this method and using FWH or 60 minute additions for bittering with a 170F whirlpool, I can't say that I've ever done an apples-to-apples comparison. I reserve the hot whirlpool method for IPAs where I'm not counting IBU's, and use the 170F whirlpool for when I want better control over my IBU's (like a Pale Ale, for example). I'm generally using less flavor hops in those beers as well, so I can't say that I could draw a direct conclusion.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline norcaljp

• Assistant Brewer
  • I prefer to drink my bread, thank you
    • The Brewins
« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2015, 12:37:52 pm »
I think I'll try this with my next APA and see how it turns out.
Joel Prater

I prefer to drink my bread, thank you

Offline toby

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Galvez, LA
    • Beer Judge Chronicles
« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2015, 07:39:27 pm »
I believe "hop bursting" is generally referring to using all your hops in the late boil (at 15 minutes or less), rather than just whirlpool hopping.

Generally speaking hop bursting is referring to late hopping or whirlpool hopping, but the 'burst' aspect is making up for the IBUs by increasing the amount of hops used.

Offline jtoots

• Brewer
« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2015, 06:48:19 am »
Generally speaking hop bursting is referring to late hopping or whirlpool hopping, but the 'burst' aspect is making up for the IBUs by increasing the amount of hops used.
Thanks, I needed that!

Offline Hooper

• Brewer
« Reply #20 on: October 30, 2015, 08:26:00 am »
I just made this beer this morning with a few changes in ingredients due to supplies.

I'm calling it "Boink IPA"
“Stay with the beer. Beer is continuous blood. A continuous lover.”
—   Charles Bukowski

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #21 on: October 31, 2015, 08:37:07 am »
First time I did the 180/- addition was because I forgot to whirlpool at flame out and caught it on the drop moments later.  Worked great and didn't worry thereafter - I will use this on lagers, too, occasionally.  Style shmile sometimes - it's a hobby and I will treat it like one when I want... Glad to see I'm not alone with this approach.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #22 on: October 31, 2015, 12:11:49 pm »
First time I did the 180/- addition was because I forgot to whirlpool at flame out and caught it on the drop moments later.  Worked great and didn't worry thereafter - I will use this on lagers, too, occasionally.  Style shmile sometimes - it's a hobby and I will treat it like one when I want... Glad to see I'm not alone with this approach.
Bingo. I love hops, and this technique (reduces temp whirlpool) allows me to add hop flavor to any style without having to worry about the bitterness balance off.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #23 on: October 31, 2015, 12:15:15 pm »
Bingo. I love hops, and this technique (reduces temp whirlpool) allows me to add hop flavor to any style without having to worry about the bitterness balance off.

Yep.  I've done it with a couple lagers (Bo and German Pils) and liked the results quite a bit, too.
Jon H.