Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: New Spencer Abbey Offerings!!!  (Read 2284 times)

Offline pete b

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Barre, Ma
New Spencer Abbey Offerings!!!
« on: October 26, 2015, 09:28:52 am »
http://www.telegram.com/article/20151025/NEWS/151029644/101499
I'm not sure if you need to register to see this article. Long story short they are releasing a Holiday BSA this November and an RIS next year. I can't wait!
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

RPIScotty

Re: New Spencer Abbey Offerings!!!
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2015, 08:47:09 am »
http://www.telegram.com/article/20151025/NEWS/151029644/101499
I'm not sure if you need to register to see this article. Long story short they are releasing a Holiday BSA this November and an RIS next year. I can't wait!

The Barrel-Aged Standard Ale sounds good too.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2015, 09:09:57 am »
Very cool !
Jon H.

Offline Frankenbrew

• Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2015, 05:41:36 pm »
Awesome news! I'll be one of the first in line.

It's also cool that they lowered the price on Spencer Ale. Now I'll add that to my "special treat" list.
Frank C.

And thereof comes the proverb: 'Blessing of your
heart, you brew good ale.'

Offline jtoots

• Brewer
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2015, 06:22:58 am »
It's also cool that they lowered the price on Spencer Ale. Now I'll add that to my "special treat" list.

I'll say.. that stuff is pretty pricey!

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2015, 03:47:55 pm »
I saw it today for $13 a four pack. That's better.

Offline Frankenbrew

• Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2015, 06:11:10 pm »

Yes, I can see spending that much every now and again for something that's a little special, both for the uniqueness of the flavor (around these parts) and for what it stands for, an American Trappist beer. I'm going to buy a rack and treat myself.
Frank C.

Offline jtoots

• Brewer
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2015, 06:49:43 am »

THIS is why I brew!  Checking out at the LHBS never gets old... 70 bucks for 10 gallons, yes please!!

Offline Frankenbrew

• Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2015, 03:39:00 pm »

THIS is why I brew!  Checking out at the LHBS never gets old... 70 bucks for 10 gallons, yes please!!

Yes, I totally get your point. I am the same way. 99.9% of the beer I drink is made in my back yard. And I buy in bulk and harvest yeast, so ten gallons for me would be more like $50.  But, I do like to treat myself once in a while with something that is special in some way. The Spencer Ale is special in many ways. Don't get me wrong; I'm not going to buy five gallons of it, but a four-pack once in a while is a treat to me.
Frank C.

Offline brewinhard

« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2015, 12:19:34 pm »
Love the Spencer.  Just shared a bottle out of my latest 4 pack a buddy brought back for me with my LHBS owner.  Now he is hooked and is trying to have his son (who lives in Mass) bring some when he comes to visit next.  Delicious!

S. cerevisiae

« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2015, 05:12:07 pm »

I do not brew ten gallon batches, but it costs me about twenty-six dollars in ingredients to brew the equivalent of ten finished gallons of beer spread over several batches.  I purchase malt and hops in bulk, and I do not have a per batch yeast cost.  Fuel adds another two dollars at most to the price.

By the way, I have never brewed to save money.  It is one of my hobbies.

Offline jtoots

• Brewer
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2015, 06:41:16 am »

I do not brew ten gallon batches, but it costs me about twenty-six dollars in ingredients to brew the equivalent of ten finished gallons of beer spread over several batches.  I purchase malt and hops in bulk, and I do not have a per batch yeast cost.  Fuel adds another two dollars at most to the price.

By the way, I have never brewed to save money.  It is one of my hobbies.

OK

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2015, 02:50:17 pm »

Its out today. I have declared it a holiday and left work early to buy a few bottles and invited some former Trappist monks over for dinner and Ale. Making Coq au Vin.
$12 a bottle, not bad.

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2015, 07:30:58 am »
I drank this last night with company so no notes or anything but here are my impressions: The beer poured a rich mohagony with a small white head that dissipated quickly into wispy islands. The aroma was dominated by raisins and figs with a hint of Carmel and no hops. There may have been a hint of spice but I was looking for it. The flavor
Was as advertised by the aroma: dried fruit and Carmel with subtle spice and pleasant warming alcohol. The mouth feel was incredibly rich, full, and warming. The finish, while not dry wasn't overly sweet either. Bitterness was only perceived by me as the absence of cloying sweetness if that makes sense. I wanted another sip very soon. This 9% Dark Belgian Strong Ale proved a challenge to drink slowly. I am really into this beer. When I heard "Holiday Ale" I was concerned about it being overly spiced but they did a great job at spicing unobtrusively. The balance in this beer is amazing: just enough bitterness, just enough alcohol warmth, generous dried fruit aroma and flavor without completely overwhelming other components. I love their original offering but this one seems to more comfortably sit amongst the pantheon of great Trappist ales. My Trappist monk friends loved it too.