Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Sour Beer Tastings  (Read 4338 times)

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
Re: Sour Beer Tastings
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2015, 02:01:08 pm »
Awesome.  I haven't had one since about June, so foggy memory, but ive had a few bottles. We used to enjoy stopping in on the bike and shooting the breeze with Seaberg. He's a super nice and very interesting guy. I suppose if I was forced to declare a sourness level I would say tart. There may be more acid coming from the fruit than the fermentation,  who knows. From my perspective its a great example of what a BJCP '15 28C American Wild Ale - Specialty.  Terminology-wise, I put all of cat23 and cat28 under "Sour Beer". If sour means 3.2 pH or less, then not all Sour Beer is sour.

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2015, 11:36:09 am »
I didn't realize that New Belgium had such a large and dedicated sour program.  After reading about it in American Sour Beers, I really wanted to pick up some La Folie. 

Also, I remembered I had a bottle of Lindemans Framboise in my basement, leftover from a mixed 12 pack someone sent me for my birthday a year or two ago. 

Sometimes you just can't get enough - JAMC

Offline dilluh98

• Brewmaster
« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2015, 02:41:15 pm »
I didn't realize that New Belgium had such a large and dedicated sour program.  After reading about it in American Sour Beers, I really wanted to pick up some La Folie. 

Also, I remembered I had a bottle of Lindemans Framboise in my basement, leftover from a mixed 12 pack someone sent me for my birthday a year or two ago. 

I've been picking up an extra bomber of La Folie for several years now in hopes of doing a 10 year vertical tasting. I'm not a connoisseur of sours to any extent but I do like that one quite a bit.

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2015, 09:11:13 pm »
New Belgium Brewing – 2015 La Folie 11.6.15

Description: sour brown ale aged one to three years is large oak barrels known as foeders; 7% abv

Appearance: lightly hazy, deep reddish-brown color, minimal effervescence, minimal head

Aroma: medium sourness, light stale/wood? , medium sweetness of red berries / almost of concentrated fruit juice (cranberry, cherry and raspberry?), maybe lemongrass?, light alcohol, no discernable hops

Taste: moderate sourness, no funk, heavy fruit juice like tartness (cranberry, raspberry and apple; maybe some lemon?), finish is sweet and sour at the same time (and dry), possible light woodiness

Impression: less sour than expected, easy drinking; surprised at the heavy fruit flavor (amazing there actually isn’t any fruit in this beer); very enjoyable

Offline dannyjed

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Toledo, OH
« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2015, 07:38:18 am »

I've been picking up an extra bomber of La Folie for several years now in hopes of doing a 10 year vertical tasting. I'm not a connoisseur of sours to any extent but I do like that one quite a bit.
FYI La Folie is pasteurized and meant to be consumed rather fresh, so they might not age very well.
Dan Chisholm

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #20 on: November 08, 2015, 08:37:48 am »

FYI La Folie is pasteurized and meant to be consumed rather fresh, so they might not age very well.

It ages fine but I don't think aging adds so much to this beer that it is worth the cellar space to hang on to it.

I dislike that they pasteurize that beer but I understand their perspective that the character of the blend is important to them and that is what they want to lock in by pasteurizing. Lauren Salazar (the gal that oversees NB's sour beers--among others) is very insistent about this point and does not want people aging La Folie.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
« Reply #21 on: November 15, 2015, 12:56:43 pm »
Lindemans - Framboise 11.14.15

Description: lambic with raspberry juice and “natural flavor from raspberries”; 2.5% abv

Appearance: hazy, deep red with a brown tint, effervescent, minimal head

Aroma: sweet and lightly tart; fresh berries (mostly raspberry), light lemon?

Taste: moderate sourness/tartness, no funk, fruit juice, raspberry (with a candy aspect) and maybe apple (light lemon?), finish is sweet and has an artificial aspect to it, no hop character or bitterness

Impression: this is too sweet and has an artificial aspect I don’t love; a small serving would be nice with a dessert

Offline brewinhard

« Reply #22 on: November 21, 2015, 04:42:42 pm »
I like the framboise the best out of their lineup besides the Cassis.  Have you tried that one yet?  Its a bit harder to find, but has a more funky medicinal thing going on from the currants that I think cuts through that traditional sweetness a bit better. 

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #23 on: November 21, 2015, 04:49:16 pm »
I like the framboise the best out of their lineup besides the Cassis.  Have you tried that one yet?  Its a bit harder to find, but has a more funky medicinal thing going on from the currants that I think cuts through that traditional sweetness a bit better. 

If I was forced to pick one of theirs I'd pick the apple (Pomme). It's more subtle and not over the top sweet as some of the others. I have had the cassis too and it's pretty decent. Not big on the rest. 
Jon H.

Offline brewinhard

« Reply #24 on: November 21, 2015, 04:56:41 pm »
They all are just too damn sweet.  Its funny how some people think thats what a good fruit lambic should taste like. 

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #25 on: November 21, 2015, 05:01:44 pm »
They all are just too damn sweet.  Its funny how some people think thats what a good fruit lambic should taste like. 

+1. Way better, more complex examples all over the Belgian map. Unfortunately I've become more of a Lindemanns expert than I'd like to be because, in spite of my best efforts, my wife's taste in beer is pretty .........ummm......limited. She's doing slightly better lately.  ;D
Jon H.

Offline brewinhard

« Reply #26 on: November 22, 2015, 12:49:45 pm »

+1. Way better, more complex examples all over the Belgian map. Unfortunately I've become more of a Lindemanns expert than I'd like to be because, in spite of my best efforts, my wife's taste in beer is pretty .........ummm......limited. She's doing slightly better lately.  ;D

Well they do fit well in Christmas stockings. 

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #27 on: November 22, 2015, 12:51:26 pm »

Well they do fit well in Christmas stockings. 

Yeah, it's been a stocking stuffer here for a few years.  ;)
Jon H.

narvin

« Reply #28 on: November 22, 2015, 03:13:01 pm »
 There are other stocking stuffers you can get... for yourself, at least  :)

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #29 on: November 22, 2015, 03:45:27 pm »
There are other stocking stuffers you can get... for yourself, at least  :)

Nice. Oh yeah, the stocking stuffers I buy for me are of a higher caliber. No Lindemanns wine coolers for me.   
Jon H.