Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Keg Dryhopping a 2nd Time  (Read 2303 times)

Offline coolman26

• Brewmaster
Keg Dryhopping a 2nd Time
« on: October 26, 2015, 07:10:46 pm »
I brewed my IPA and used one of the Stainless Brewing dry hoppers. The dry hops settled and compacted in the bottom of the tube. It didn't get the aroma like when I dry hop in secondary.  I used 4 oz of pellets in the dry hopper.  When those of you dry hop in the keg do you have this problem using a bag?  I wonder if whole cones would work better?  Now that it is carbonated and cold, do I just finish an IPA w/o aroma?  Those dry hoppers would be great for fruit and coffee, not sure they work for pellet hops in the keg.  I did like not having to syphon with all the hop matter, even after cold crashing.     
Jeff B

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Keg Dryhopping a 2nd Time
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2015, 08:21:29 pm »
I have used mine in the keg and have been very happy.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2015, 05:54:53 am »
I still use mine for lightly dry hopped beers, coffee additions, etc., but I quit using it for APA and AIPA. I too noticed some of the pellets getting compacted and not dissolving completely on these latter two styles. I'm back to paint strainer bags for keg hopping APA and IPA.
Jon H.

Offline Stevie

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2015, 07:03:24 am »
I don't notice any pellets when I empty mine.

I wonder if the issue is temperature. Maybe if the beer was allowed to sit warm for a couple of days it wouldn't compact.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2015, 07:08:08 am »
Mine usually sits warm for 3-4 days. I don't get whole pellets, just patially dissolved ones. Just on the big dry hop loads. An oz or two dissolve fine.
Jon H.

Offline Stevie

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2015, 07:17:35 am »
Maybe laying the keg on its side is a good plan. This might cause the pellets to spread out more. Surface area is good.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2015, 07:22:13 am »
Maybe laying the keg on its side is a good plan. This might cause the pellets to spread out more. Surface area is good.

That's not a bad idea. I think that would help with that.
Jon H.

Offline 69franx

• Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2015, 07:44:52 am »
Not in a keg, but my last dry hopped IPA in a bucket with dry hopper, the pellets broke down and formed a mush like paste inside the hopper. 10" cylinder with I think 4oz. Big mess like Jon says. I have 2, so next time will use both
Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline HydraulicSammich

• Assistant Brewer
  • Logan, UT
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2015, 09:13:59 am »
Definitely works lying on its side.  I use at least 6 oz in the cylinder.  Keep the CO2 connected, lay it down.  Check for leaks.  Roll it well and on occasion for a half hour or so.  Stand back up.  This is all at room temp.  Works great for me.  Still has very fine debris but settles out while carbonating.
AHA Member 900001775

Offline toby

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Galvez, LA
    • Beer Judge Chronicles
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2015, 09:39:24 am »
I've only keg hopped with a nylon mesh bag.  Works well in my experience, but I've only done it in short term cases (re-dry hopping for a festival or something along those lines).

Offline coolman26

• Brewmaster
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2015, 09:58:32 am »
I primed the keg with 2.2oz of dextrose, set the lid with 30# of gas, and let it set at room temp for 10 days.  I then stuck it in my kegerator and removed the dry hopper.  The hops where so packed in the bottom.  I split the batch into 3 fermenters.  One got 5 days of hops pitched into primary.  One got 12 days with hops in primary, and the other went to keg with the dry hopper.  It has almost no aroma.  The other 2 kegs are fantastic.  I did like the 5 day the best.  I could see putting the keg on its side.  Maybe the next time I will breakup all of the pellets or use whole cones.  It is so convenient if I can get it working like the free hops pitched into the fermenter.  It was the first time using it.   
Jeff B

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2015, 10:14:02 am »
I use a muslin bag for both whole and pellets.  Stays in the keg 2-3 months.  No problems.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline coolman26

• Brewmaster
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2015, 10:16:23 am »
I use a muslin bag for both whole and pellets.  Stays in the keg 2-3 months.  No problems.

Denny do feel you get the same aroma as free pitching them in the fermenter?  I did lick not having the hop debris to deal with.
Jeff B

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2015, 10:22:31 am »

Denny do feel you get the same aroma as free pitching them in the fermenter?  I did lick not having the hop debris to deal with.

Absolutely.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline coolman26

• Brewmaster
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2015, 10:33:01 am »
Looks like I'm going bags.  That stainless dry hopper sure looked pretty though. 
Jeff B