Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Keg Dryhopping a 2nd Time  (Read 2304 times)

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
Re: Keg Dryhopping a 2nd Time
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2015, 10:33:39 am »
I use a muslin bag for both whole and pellets.  Stays in the keg 2-3 months.  No problems.

Denny do feel you get the same aroma as free pitching them in the fermenter?  I did lick not having the hop debris to deal with.

Absolutely.

Same here.
Jon H.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2015, 10:39:33 am »
Looks like I'm going bags.  That stainless dry hopper sure looked pretty though.

You can't judge a book by its cover.  As I learned many years ago with my funky mash tun, sometimes cheap'n'easy beats big'n'shiny.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline blatz

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2015, 11:30:34 am »
I have two of those SS dryhop cylinders.  same issues, repeatedly as you did, and gave up on them.  as jon mentioned, they are good for <2oz dryhops but no more.

my new favorite method - surescreen + commando hops.  then cold crash and jump to a new keg.  easy peasy and an added benefit of leaving the sediment behind.

The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2015, 11:37:24 am »
I don't know if the issue is as big as you are making it out to be. When I pull mine, I can clearly see lots of particulate along the length of the filter.  That to me says that at some point the hops were higher in the column.

Offline coolman26

• Brewmaster
« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2015, 02:44:11 pm »
I have two of those SS dryhop cylinders.  same issues, repeatedly as you did, and gave up on them.  as jon mentioned, they are good for <2oz dryhops but no more.

my new favorite method - surescreen + commando hops.  then cold crash and jump to a new keg.  easy peasy and an added benefit of leaving the sediment behind.

Just looked at the surescreen.  That looks like a great idea.  Why didn't I think of a screen on the dip tube?  Guess I will give that a try.  I wish I had bought the 10" hoppers in stead of the 18" Horizontal in primary I could see them working. 18" isn't going to fit.   Live and learn, thanks for the tip.
Jeff B