Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Thin brew  (Read 1677 times)

Offline fartface

• 1st Kit
Thin brew
« on: November 25, 2015, 04:15:01 pm »
I've just tasted my latest batch: Geordie Winter Warmer made with 1kg Young's beer enhancer and 1kg dark brown sugar. I must say I'm disappointed as it's a bit thin with not much depth. I thought the extra sugar would have really added to it but it seems not. Any suggestions as to how I could have produced more depth? I don't think hops would work as this is a malty brew, rather than a summer ale.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline mainebrewer

• Brewmaster
Re: Thin brew
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2015, 04:52:51 pm »
Generally speaking, sugar adjuncts are much more fermentable than the sugars that are created during the mash. Don't know your batch size, but 4.4 pounds of sugar adjuncts will create a higher ABV value which would have the effect of thinning out the beer. I'm unfamiliar with Young's beer enhancer but dark brown sugar would give the beer some molasses flavor.
Not sure what you mean by "more depth", but if you're looking for more complex flavors/aromas then specialty grains and/or spices, dried fruit in a winter warmer would be a good place to start.
"It's not that people are ignorant, it's just that they know so much that just isn't true." Ronald Reagan

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Thin brew
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2015, 04:58:46 pm »
Full recipe and process would help.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2015, 05:04:40 pm »
I can't claim to know what 'Young's beer enhancer' is, but a kg of sugar would explain the thin body. I use 1/2 that amount of sugar to lighten body in 5 gallons of 1.080 IIPA. Don't know your batch size.
Jon H.

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2015, 05:05:57 am »
Extra sugars jack up the alcohol and also serve to thin out the beer.

Solution: Bottle with about 350 grams lactose per 5 gallons (19 liters) in addition to the regular priming sugar.  Lactose is an unfermentable sugar that will add body and a slight sweetness back into the beer.  Perfect thing to do for a winter warmer.

Enjoy.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline santoch

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Riverview, FL
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2015, 11:40:39 pm »
I agree with what was said above.  Brown sugar is simply white sugar with molasses.  Molasses will ferment out to a rum-like flavor, but there's not very much molasses in brown sugar, so you probably won't be able to pick it out anyways. The sugar itself will pretty much ferment out to ethanol.
In other words, by addling the brown sugar you just added about 12oz of everclear and maybe a shot glass of 151 to your batch (assuming 2kg brown sugar in a 5gal batch).

Like they said above, if you are looking for more complexity/depth and also body/mouthfeel, add some dark crystal (like Crystal 90-120) and more base malts.  If you are using extract, just use more DME and maybe add a bit of amber extract and maybe steep in a touch of chocolate malt (just a few oz).  A cup of maltodextrin powder can aid the body, too, without sweetening up the beer.

Looking for a club near my new house
BJCP GM3/Mead Judge