Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Brew Boss COFI  (Read 4206 times)

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Brew Boss COFI
« on: October 27, 2015, 03:26:18 pm »
Somebody in one of my clubs has this thing and isn't getting very good efficiency. To me the design screams channeling, but at $475 I don't want to poop on it.

http://www.brew-boss.com/product-p/mash-cofi-15.htm

Offline Frankenbrew

• Brewmaster
Re: Brew Boss COFI
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2015, 04:39:32 pm »
Poop away! I agree with you. I've never heard/seen an internal sparge/recirc.
Frank C.

And thereof comes the proverb: 'Blessing of your
heart, you brew good ale.'

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2015, 10:13:24 am »
It looks like the "central infusion tube" is only used during the mash.  Channeling during re-circulation of the mash shouldn't cause efficiency issues should it?  Channeling during fly sparging would be a different story.
Sometimes you just can't get enough - JAMC

S. cerevisiae

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2015, 10:48:44 am »
Channeling during re-circulation of the mash shouldn't cause efficiency issues should it? 

Channeling can be a problem if the grain is added dry.  Water always takes the path of least resistance.

Offline Stevie

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2015, 10:55:00 am »
I basically picture the water blasting a path through the grain and draining down the side. If the water is strong enough to get to the edges, it's strong enough to cut a tube. Just seems weird to me

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2015, 11:19:55 am »
From the pictures on the website, it looks like the entirety of the grain is to be fully submerged. 

Offline tommymorris

Brew Boss COFI
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2015, 11:23:02 am »
Would a similar cage with wort removed through false bottom and then pumped back in via a common recirculating port work better? Just curious.  Seems like a fairly simple design.

Edited to fix grammar.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2015, 11:34:53 am by alestateyall »

Offline Stevie

« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2015, 11:29:23 am »

Would a similar cage with wort removed through false bottom and then pumped back in via a common recirculating mom port work better? Just curious? Seems like a fairly simple design.
I don't think so as it would still create channels out to the edge where the wort can drop without significant grain contact.

I'll need to see this thing in use at some point.

narvin

« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2015, 11:35:04 am »
Any stirring?  even with a recirculating system you need to mix the mash at dough in.  I'm picturing a giant teabag of grain being lowered into the water and turning into a giant dough ball.

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2015, 11:48:27 am »

Any stirring?  even with a recirculating system you need to mix the mash at dough in.  I'm picturing a giant teabag of grain being lowered into the water and turning into a giant dough ball.
13 minutes into this video the COFI with dry grains already in it is added to the kettle. There is no stirring.
http://youtu.be/9DEjuRk8w0E

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2015, 11:58:57 am »
Stirring, both to break up dough balls and to even out the temperature, seems like it would be a good idea.  It's definitely required on my (non-recirculating) system.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2015, 12:03:07 pm »
I think its a bit too Rube Goldberg. I use an 8 or 15 gallon pot for a mash tun. It has a false bottom. I consider it batch sparging but with the ability to recirculate so I can heat with direct fire, and since the pump is there its also power vorlauf. I dont care about channeling because its batch sparging. The recirculation is only to prevent scorching and to set the grain bed during vorlauf. This gadget seems to be an elaborate expensive version of what I do. In the photo where its empty, the water is spraying every which way. Once grain is added that center tube will be fingered like a clarinet by the grain and the water will follow the path of least resistance. Seems like anyway...

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2015, 12:06:19 pm »
This is a solution in search of a problem.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2015, 12:35:02 pm »
I know nothing about these systems. I batch sparge with a cooler.  I do find the level of entrepreneurialism in brewing very interesting. I like reading about these things even though I am cheap and would likely never buy one.

Offline Stevie

« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2015, 12:39:51 pm »

I know nothing about these systems. I batch sparge with a cooler.  I do find the level of entrepreneurialism in brewing very interesting. I like reading about these things even though I am cheap and would likely never buy one.
Yeah buddy. +100,000