Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Hops That Go Well With Galaxy?  (Read 10405 times)

Offline Joel5000

• Cellarman
Hops That Go Well With Galaxy?
« on: October 23, 2015, 10:31:05 pm »
Brewing a big IIPA tomorrow.  I have a half pound of Galaxy that I want to use as the feature hop, but not sure what to use with it.  Any suggestions on a hop schedule?  I have the following on hand in reasonable quantities:

Cascade
Centennial
Simcoe
Amarillo
Zythos
Moteuka
Rakau
Challenger
EKG

Grist is 15 lbs 2-row, 2.5 lbs Munich, 6 oz Crystal 60, and a half pound table sugar.  Thinking of bittering with Chinook, but I also have Warrior and Nugget.  All thoughts and suggestions are appreciated. 

Thanks in advance!

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
Re: Hops That Go Well With Galaxy?
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2015, 08:24:23 am »
I have used Simcoe and centennial with good results. Also Mosaic and Citra. Galaxy is not real high on the oils %, so I used more.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2015, 08:31:35 am »
I have used Simcoe and centennial with good results. Also Mosaic and Citra. Galaxy is not real high on the oils %, so I used more.

I would avoid Challenger and EKG - I think those would get lost behind the resiny tropical character and might or might not mix well. I've never used Rakau but it would seem to be a nice match. As for the rest, they'd all be a good fit IMO.
Jon H.

Offline neddles

• Brewer
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2015, 09:34:18 am »
2:1 galaxy:nelson was pretty probably the best combination I have ever tasted. From your list I would probably  feature Galaxy heavy against Cascade or Simcoe for a 2 hop beer. I'd try 3:2 Galaxy:Simcoe or Galaxy:Cascade. I think Motueka would meld nicely flavor-wise but it is a far subtle hop then the others so it may take a heavier hand to make it worthwhile.

Offline Joel5000

• Cellarman
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2015, 10:31:49 am »
I like the idea of the galaxy with cascade.  Maybe 2 oz Galaxy and 1 oz cascade at 10 minutes, 5 minutes, and flame-out? Would a 2:1 ratio of galaxy to cascade be too much? Brew day has been pushed back until tomorrow, so I have some time to think about it. Simcoe sounds good with it also.  Thanks for allnthe suggestions everyone.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2015, 10:41:07 am »
Maybe 2 oz Galaxy and 1 oz cascade at 10 minutes, 5 minutes, and flame-out? Would a 2:1 ratio of galaxy to cascade be too much?

It would be good, but Galaxy is stronger than Cascade so 2:1 would hide the Cascade. Two of my favorite blends with Galaxy were 1:1 with Simcoe and 1:1 with Nelson. But it blends well with pretty much any APA or AIPA hop, so just experiment and have fun !
Jon H.

Offline blatz

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2015, 09:23:33 am »
I like the idea of the galaxy with cascade.  Maybe 2 oz Galaxy and 1 oz cascade at 10 minutes, 5 minutes, and flame-out? Would a 2:1 ratio of galaxy to cascade be too much? Brew day has been pushed back until tomorrow, so I have some time to think about it. Simcoe sounds good with it also.  Thanks for allnthe suggestions everyone.

i used this combo Cascade and Galaxy in an amber ale and really enjoyed it.  IIRC, i used it 1:1 and as jon pointed out, it was much more Galaxy focused. 
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline TexasHumuluslupulushead

• Assistant Brewer
  • Austin Zealot
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2015, 09:30:03 am »
Just brewed an IPA with galaxy, cotra and mosaic that was fantastic
I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day.    -- Dean Martin

Offline Joel5000

• Cellarman
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2015, 11:53:50 am »
Brewed this yesterday. Used a 2 to 1.5 ratio of Galaxy to Cascade. 2 oz Galaxy and 1.5 oz Cascade at 10 minutes, 5 minutes, and flame-out with 20 minute steep before chilling.  Smelled incredible.

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2015, 08:48:18 am »
Galaxy and Citra might be my favorite combo. I've done IPA's with it, a golden ale, APA's. I just had an imperial hoppy red by Rhinegeist out of Cincinnati last night that was amazing! I think it was called Duece.

I use them in equal parts.
Frank

Offline blatz

• Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2015, 08:59:06 am »
Galaxy and Citra might be my favorite combo. I've done IPA's with it, a golden ale, APA's. I just had an imperial hoppy red by Rhinegeist out of Cincinnati last night that was amazing! I think it was called Duece.

Citra and Galaxy both seem to couple well with darker malts - I really enjoyed the galaxy in my amber and Tocobaga by Cigar City is a Red IPA almost an imperial and it is Citra dominant.
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline 69franx

• Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2015, 10:43:06 pm »

Good to hear Frank. Love a lot of brews from Rhinegeist but have not had that yet. I'm going to their second annual Hopgeist on Saturday. It is their DIPA festival featuring DIPA from across the country. I will look for that "Deuce" as well. I just this evening pocked up a sixer of their Pure Fury Pale ale. Not sure what they have in there, but it's darn tasty. Some investigation is a must
Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2015, 08:03:19 am »

Good to hear Frank. Love a lot of brews from Rhinegeist but have not had that yet. I'm going to their second annual Hopgeist on Saturday. It is their DIPA festival featuring DIPA from across the country. I will look for that "Deuce" as well. I just this evening pocked up a sixer of their Pure Fury Pale ale. Not sure what they have in there, but it's darn tasty. Some investigation is a must

I'm spending the week in Columbus this week. I'm taking advantage of drinking Cincy and Cbus beers. It's a shame that we don't get these beers in NE Ohio. There are some really good hidden gems in Ohio. I had a couple beers from Seventh Son too. Really good beers!
Frank