Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Is it possible?  (Read 1269 times)

Offline PAYCHECK

• Cellarman
    • Split Hops Brewing
Is it possible?
« on: October 28, 2015, 12:24:07 am »
I have brewed a weizen beer on the 23rd of October this month.  I have a chest freezer I have converted to a fermentation vessel using the ST1000 which works like a charm.  I live in San Clemente, Ca. and the temperature in the garage currently is holding the fermentation right at about 18 C.  I grew a vile of wyeast #3068 for 36 hours and pitched it, the fermentation went off around 7 hours later and was very aggressive.  As of today the 27th I have seen no activity to speak of however in the air lock water there are still bubbles on the surface of the water so I am assuming it is still active.  I want to make sure before I cold crash this beer, as I am going for a crystal weizen look and feel here that the fermentation is complete. 

Is it possible the fermentation is completed after only 4 days?
« Last Edit: October 28, 2015, 12:39:50 am by PAYCHECK »
Brewing is all I ever think about!

RPIScotty

Is it possible?
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2015, 02:34:02 am »
Take a reading and find out. Also, remember that airlock activity isn't a reliable indicator of fermentation status.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: October 28, 2015, 02:48:57 am by RPIScotty »

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
Re: Is it possible?
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2015, 05:40:43 am »
You need to verify you're at final gravity. Do this by taking 2-3 hydrometer readings, 2-3 days apart each. It's the only way to know the yeast is finished.
Jon H.

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2015, 06:20:45 am »
To answer the question, yes, it is not only possible, but likely done.  You still need to check and it wouldn't hurt to let it work several days longer.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2015, 06:29:28 am »
Hefeweizen yeast strains are notoriously fast.  It's most likely finished, that's very normal.  But, like the others suggested, take gravity readings a few days apart just to make sure.  Then you'll be ready to bottle or keg.... or cold crash if you want kristall style.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.