Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Oats  (Read 2200 times)

Offline JJeffers09

• Senior Brewmaster
Oats
« on: October 28, 2015, 10:25:32 am »
Whole? Steel Cut? Flaked? From the Store?  From the Homebrew Store? 

Someone talk to me about oats...  I am going to get an oatmeal cream stout going soon.  Rather than googling it I would rather talk to my beer-geeks on here
"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Benjamin Franklin

AHA Member
Indiana Brewers Union (IBU)

Offline Iliff Ave

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Oats
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2015, 11:25:52 am »
I have used oat malt, golden naked oats (crystal oat malt), and flaked oats all from the LHBS. When using oats again, I will only be using flaked oats. In my experience, oat malt is very earthy and golden naked oats are said to have a 'berry-nut' flavor that I did not get.

For a while, I was trying to perfect an oat APA with all 3 forms and realized that I might just be barking up the wrong tree. If I try it again, oats will only be in flaked form. 
« Last Edit: October 28, 2015, 11:27:29 am by goschman »
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline JJeffers09

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2015, 08:12:28 pm »
I like the idea of putting time and effort in my beers for better product.  Not to go too far, but far enough that I don't see the problem with cooking oaks for 45mins to 2 hours for a smoother product.  I do know that any oats have to be cooked before mashed so they don't gum up a mash and turn it into porridge.
"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Benjamin Franklin

AHA Member

Offline Stevie

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2015, 08:47:04 pm »
You do not need to cooked ALL oats. I've used flaked, Quaker, and malted oats. Never have I cooked them. Flaked and rolled oats are good to go as is. Just toss them in.

http://howtobrew.com/book/section-2/what-is-malted-grain/other-grains-and-adjuncts

Offline ajk

• Brewer
  • Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2015, 03:59:12 am »
I use rolled oats (the Quaker kind, not quick oats), and if they're for a stout, I toast them in the oven for 45 minutes. I only do the toasting when no one's home because it releases a lot of dust that is unpleasant to breathe.

Offline jeffy

• Tampa, Fl
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2015, 05:10:34 am »
If you do a short mash with a small percentage of the barley malt before boiling, then the oats don't get so gummy.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline JJeffers09

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2015, 12:15:05 pm »
Isnt Oat malt made from base malt?
  **Kindled with a mixture of base malt**  Which I don't think it is... now that I keep looking into it
« Last Edit: October 30, 2015, 12:42:49 pm by JJeffers09 »

AHA Member

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2015, 12:19:12 pm »
Isnt Oat malt made from base malt?

Not sure what you mean. The oat malt I have used is a distinct grain type with a husk and I believe it is not highly modified like most modern base malts. I think you can use it as a base malt but it would require a multiple step mash. I could be wrong though. Most other forms of oats are huskless.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2015, 12:25:52 pm by goschman »

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2015, 12:32:41 pm »
Flaked oats work well for an oatmeal stout.  You can just mash them along with the rest of the grains since they are pregelantinized.

I do like to toast them in the oven for 30 minutes at 350 degrees to try to bring out more flavor though.

Sometimes you just can't get enough - JAMC

Offline JJeffers09

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2015, 12:41:16 pm »
So I thought that whole oats like steel cut oats had to be "cereal" Mashed and provided an even smoother product than rolled oats or flaked oats.  But I thought that the process that Oat malt had gone through had to be cut with more base malt so it doesn't gum up the mash with unconverted starches.  Same as Whole or steel cut.

as for the toasted oats, I have thought about that but then ran across golden oat malt, which MAY have a better toasted oat flavor that what I can produce at home.

AHA Member

Offline Stevie

« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2015, 12:45:50 pm »
I think steel cut do need to be cooked first, but can't be certain.

Offline Rhoobarb

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2015, 01:34:03 pm »
Another vote for flaked (not quick oats), toasted.
"Brewing beer to save money makes as much sense as buying a boat to cut costs on a fish dinner." -- Tim French

>^,,^<
Rhoobarb
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Chicken-City-Ale-Raisers/118689024850197

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2015, 01:37:18 pm »
So I thought that whole oats like steel cut oats had to be "cereal" Mashed and provided an even smoother product than rolled oats or flaked oats.  But I thought that the process that Oat malt had gone through had to be cut with more base malt so it doesn't gum up the mash with unconverted starches.  Same as Whole or steel cut.

as for the toasted oats, I have thought about that but then ran across golden oat malt, which MAY have a better toasted oat flavor that what I can produce at home.

Golden naked oats is huskless crystal oat malt (if that's what you are referring to)

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2015, 03:10:11 pm »

Yes.  You need to cook them to eat them, so I assume you need to cook them to mash them.  Flaked oats (or Quaker Old Fashioned Oats) can go right into the mash.  I've done it many many times.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2015, 05:24:38 am »

Yes.  You need to cook them to eat them, so I assume you need to cook them to mash them.  Flaked oats (or Quaker Old Fashioned Oats) can go right into the mash.  I've done it many many times.

+1

Whole and/or steel cut oats are typically raw grain and need to go through a cereal mash.  Any oats that have been flaked or tortified (puffed) can be used as is. 

Steel cut grains are just dehusked and sliced up into little pieces to cook faster.  The steel is an industrial description of the machine used to do the cutting.

The flaking process starts with raw whole  grain that is soaked in water to soften the kernels and then run through a heated roller mill where the pressure causes enough heat to flatten and "cook" the grain in one step.  At least that's what my blurry-eyed pre-coffee brain is telling me this morning.

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?