Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Year old grains  (Read 5496 times)

Offline cempt1

• Cellarman
Year old grains
« on: October 28, 2015, 07:59:47 pm »
I have some belgian pilsner malt I bought crushed about a year ago (15 lbs) and life got in the way and I wasn't able to use it until now.  It has been stored in a sealed plastic bag in my garage inside of a pastic tote.  It has stayed dry but has been exposed to 90 plus degrees.  I recently purchased some fresh and compared the two in terms of taste and texture and there was no perceptible difference.   Any reason not to use it?  I'm thinking of brewing a belgian dark strong ale with it this weekend.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Offline smokeymcb

• Cellarman
  • The Cooker of the Foods
Re: Year old grains
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2015, 10:02:24 pm »
I'd probably cut some of the old malt with the new to use up the old over a few batches...
Anyone got a lighter??

Rob C.

RPIScotty

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2015, 04:25:08 am »
No change in taste is a good sign. Use it up!

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2015, 06:08:16 am »
It will not be ideal but it will still make beer.

RPIScotty

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2015, 07:10:37 am »
If it tastes good why would it not be ideal? If it was kept dry and sealed, why would it make a difference?

Offline Vin S

• Assistant Brewer
  • Harwinton CT
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2015, 07:13:18 am »
Have some DME just in case you don't hit OG. Like smokeymcb said blend into other batches.
" There is no such thing as a bad beer. It's that some taste better than others." Billy Carter

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2015, 07:33:41 am »
If it tastes good why would it not be ideal? If it was kept dry and sealed, why would it make a difference?

Trust me, I have used precrushed grains for 5 years now and run a 12 bbl brewery. The beer will still be good, but it is always better when it is used sooner rather than later. the differences can be subtle but after you've brewed thousands of gallons you start to notice from batch to batch.

Finally getting an auger and a grain mill in November and I am expecting some improvement in the beer.

Offline cempt1

• Cellarman
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2015, 06:25:41 am »
Thanks for the responses.  I am starting to think I may use it in a couple of patersbiers.  Something that is more sessionable rather than a bigger beer that I would want to age some.  I have some trappist high gravity yeast I rinsed last year.  I may see if I can wake that up in a starter and at the very least, I will have a big yeast starter for a quad once it ferments.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Offline coolman26

• Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2015, 08:24:15 am »
Trust me, I have used precrushed grains for 5 years now and run a 12 bbl brewery. The beer will still be good, but it is always better when it is used sooner rather than later. the differences can be subtle but after you've brewed thousands of gallons you start to notice from batch to batch.

Finally getting an auger and a grain mill in November and I am expecting some improvement in the beer.
[/quote]

I'm guessing you will see an improvement.  Plus you will get to alter your crush to your liking.  Really cool watching your hard earned progress.  All of your beers have been fantastic by the way.
Jeff B

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2015, 09:00:55 am »

I'm guessing you will see an improvement.  Plus you will get to alter your crush to your liking.  Really cool watching your hard earned progress.  All of your beers have been fantastic by the way.
[/quote]

Thanks man! Yeah, new auger and grain mill comes with new 20 bbl brewhouse too!

Offline coolman26

• Brewmaster
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2015, 09:08:23 am »
Probably won't miss using an electric system anytime soon.  Excited to see it when it is all rolling!
Jeff B

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2015, 09:10:51 am »
Probably won't miss using an electric system anytime soon.  Excited to see it when it is all rolling!

The system I have now is direct fired. The 3 bbl system we started with was electric, about 3 years back.

Offline brewinhard

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2015, 12:16:25 pm »
If it has been crushed for over a year, I would ditch the 15# and buy some fresh grains.  Even if it has been sealed I would think the freshness is not there and losing 20 bucks over the course of a year on spent old grains isn't the biggest loss. 

Start fresh and you will be happy you did. 

RPIScotty

« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2015, 02:33:48 pm »
Am I missing something? Do grains lose something, specifications wise, over time?

Sent via Tapatalk

S. cerevisiae

« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2015, 03:41:24 pm »
Crushed grain is like ground coffee.  Fresh ground coffee almost always tastes better than pre-ground coffee.