Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Recipe help with a pumpkin IPA  (Read 2094 times)

Offline hophead636

• Assistant Brewer
Recipe help with a pumpkin IPA
« on: October 30, 2015, 08:52:57 am »
So my wife's aunt brought some crazy pumpkins over to the family carving fest the other night, we made a vw bus with the one and my god the aromas and flavor of melons it was straight amazing,  so my mind started ticking and I think I want to brew a pumpkin IPA with this pumpkin. Figured roast as usual scrape boil half for 20mins in half gallon of water add to mash the. Add other half to boil with 20 mins left in boil.  Now my question is what hops would be best to help with the melon like flavors prolly could add some citrus to it as well.  Any advice on a grain bill, was thinking about a simple regular IPA recipe where the pumpkin will add a slight orange tone in

Said pumpkin

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
Re: Recipe help with a pumpkin IPA
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2015, 09:28:17 am »
No advice on the grain bill, but that's a cool pumpkin.

I also thought this year's pumpkin smelled great while carving it. 

The general consensus is that pumpkin doesn't add much, if any, flavor to a beer.  It may be that the flavors are driven off during the boil or simply not strong enough to compete with the hops and grain.  But I don't think that you should let that stop you.

I think, though, that the amount of hops in an IPA might mask any pumpkin flavors you get.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline hophead636

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2015, 10:03:28 am »
Yea I was thinking that but figured hey I got a free 10lb pumpkin that smells amazing night as well give it a whirl lol, 

Grain bill I'm doing
10lb 2-row
.5lb carapils
1.5lb red wheat

Just brewed a comet IPA with this recipe and it's killer so will reuse that hops are where I'm sorta stuck never went after melon flavors in my iPas lol

Was thinking a mixture of el dorado and huell melon,  with some late additions of citra and Amarillo

Fermenting with Conan at 63 for some peachyness to the mix

Offline toby

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Galvez, LA
    • Beer Judge Chronicles
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2015, 01:34:59 pm »
Step 1: Formulate a great IPA recipe.
Step 2: Show it to the pumpkin innards.
Step 3: Throw away the pumpkin innards.
Step 4: Brew great IPA.

HTH.  ;)

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2015, 01:45:27 pm »
Step 1: Formulate a great IPA recipe.
Step 2: Show it to the pumpkin innards.
Step 3: Throw away the pumpkin innards.
Step 4: Brew great IPA.

HTH.  ;)

My thoughts, too. ;D   Hops would bury whatever debateable level of flavor comes from the pumpkin. No harm in trying it,  though.
Jon H.

Offline hophead636

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2015, 05:16:27 pm »
Lol I am sorta debating on not going in on baking and scraping the pumpkin and just brewing an IPA lol but it's still in my head so we shall see

Offline 69franx

• Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2015, 06:02:44 pm »
Not really any help, but here is my pumpkin:

Good luck with the pumpkin brew
Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2015, 06:14:23 pm »
A Stone pumpkin !  Beauty, Frank.
Jon H.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2015, 06:24:44 pm »
You just have to use the pumpkin at some point in the process for it to technically be called a pumkin beer. So I suggest you use the pumpkin as a place to let your yeast sit while you wait for the smackpack to swell. The trouble is what if you dont use Wyeast? Well, I guess you could just lie and say you did...

Offline hophead636

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2015, 07:27:44 pm »
Lol nope Vermont ale yeast from giga on the stir plate as we speak we will see I do have an event coming up in December so might just skip the pumpkin and brew a good melon citrus IPA tomorrow using el dorado citra and huell Melon in this one the two with melon flavors I have never used any advice on el dorado or huell Mellon hops

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2015, 07:36:03 pm »
Lol nope Vermont ale yeast from giga on the stir plate as we speak we will see I do have an event coming up in December so might just skip the pumpkin and brew a good melon citrus IPA tomorrow using el dorado citra and huell Melon in this one the two with melon flavors I have never used any advice on el dorado or huell Mellon hops
Haven't used Hüll Melon yet, but I'd go easy on the El Dorado. You could compare it to a watermelon Jolly Rancher, but it's more about the candy part than the melon, if that makes sense. It can give a sweet impression even in a dry beer. But in low doses it certainly would work in a supporting role.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline 69franx

• Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2015, 08:28:21 pm »
Thanks Jon; and Jim, thats some more funny shiznit on pumpkin beers!
Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline hophead636

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2015, 06:18:57 am »

Haven't used Hüll Melon yet, but I'd go easy on the El Dorado. You could compare it to a watermelon Jolly Rancher, but it's more about the candy part than the melon, if that makes sense. It can give a sweet impression even in a dry beer. But in low doses it certainly would work in a supporting role.

Sweet that's what I was reading but figured I would ask from some that used befor.  So prolly go a 1:2 ratio with my other hops

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2015, 06:34:24 am »
Citra is pretty potent, too. I'd probably go 2:1:1 with the Hüll Melon in relation to the others if you want it to stand out.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline hophead636

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2015, 05:11:50 pm »
Brewed it today and said what the hell why not toss it in gave it a beautiful color and think the hops are going to play well from what I was picking out with a sample during chilling

Said pumpkin

Color sorta a golden glow from it pretty sweet and as I figured no pumpkin coming thru in the beer where doesn't bother me helped with a color and can still call it a pumpkin IPA like I told the aunt lol