Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: chit, spitz, carapils and carafoam  (Read 9999 times)

Online hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
Re: chit, spitz, carapils and carafoam
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2016, 03:21:00 pm »
Can chit malt be used in a single infusion or does it have to be stepped if it is under-modified?
It is sprouted enough so that it meets the RHG. It is so under modified, it is almost an adjunct. Bottom of the page.

https://books.google.com/books?id=w-8sCQAAQBAJ&pg=PT103&lpg=PT103&dq=chit+malt+weyermann&source=bl&ots=CxF2NIp2MF&sig=4vJOauHBpC4a_WeRP21a6ulgShI&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjjhL-uhtDKAhWGu4MKHaVZBFQQ6AEIMzAJ#v=onepage&q=chit%20malt%20weyermann&f=false
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline brewinhard

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2016, 01:25:38 pm »

Offline 69franx

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2016, 12:30:33 pm »
Great link, guess I need to actually read that book soon, as I bought it a while ago
Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline mabrungard

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2016, 03:31:09 pm »
It is sprouted enough so that it meets the RHG. It is so under modified, it is almost an adjunct. Bottom of the page.

With that said, my comment regarding the use of flaked barley becomes more salient. Why go to the trouble of sourcing chit malt when it is a less strong version (beta glucan wise) of raw barley? Flaked barley is a gelatanized version of raw barley.
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks

Online hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2016, 06:17:24 pm »

With that said, my comment regarding the use of flaked barley becomes more salient. Why go to the trouble of sourcing chit malt when it is a less strong version (beta glucan wise) of raw barley? Flaked barley is a gelatanized version of raw barley.

I might have to revisit using a small amount of flaked barley in some of my Pilsners. When I started brewing Pilsners Jeff Renner gave me the advice that a small % of flaked would emulate Chit. Used that for a while, can't really say why I stopped.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2016, 06:41:18 pm »

I might have to revisit using a small amount of flaked barley in some of my Pilsners. When I started brewing Pilsners Jeff Renner gave me the advice that a small % of flaked would emulate Chit. Used that for a while, can't really say why I stopped.

Jeff, I've been using around 2% flaked barley in pale beers for about a year FWIW. It contributes to good foam with little impact on flavor at that %. I definitely don't see chit as any improvement on that and it's tougher to source than flaked barley.
Jon H.

Online hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2016, 06:55:33 pm »

Jeff, I've been using around 2% flaked barley in pale beers for about a year FWIW. It contributes to good foam with little impact on flavor at that %. I definitely don't see chit as any improvement on that and it's tougher to source than flaked barley.
That is the advice I got from Jeff Renner about 10 years back when there was no Chit Malt available.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2016, 07:19:30 pm »
To finish the story, I bought a few lbs of chit from Brew Brothers last year and have tried both. When the chit runs out I'll just switch to flaked barley.
Jon H.