Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Yeast Cultures Are Like Nuclear Weapons  (Read 6876 times)

S. cerevisiae

Yeast Cultures Are Like Nuclear Weapons
« on: October 30, 2015, 07:21:27 pm »
I know that I have used the nuclear weapon analogy in different threads on this forum, but it is the title of my first non-fluff blog entry.  Once again, I have covered most, if not all of the information in this entry in various threads, but here is an opportunity for new forum members to be able to see it compiled into one page.

http://www.experimentalbrew.com/blogs/saccharomyces/yeast-cultures-are-nuclear-weapons
« Last Edit: October 30, 2015, 08:00:36 pm by S. cerevisiae »

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
Re: Yeast Cultures Are Like Nuclear Weapons
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2015, 07:33:02 pm »
That's an excellent choice for a first post, Mark. I think if you're going to delve into the fine details of yeast wrangling, this topic is something you always should have in the back of your mind.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2015, 07:43:02 pm »
Excellent synopsis, Mark. Thanks !
Jon H.

Offline smokeymcb

• Cellarman
  • The Cooker of the Foods
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2015, 07:55:04 pm »
Great article!  Thanks for the effort...
Anyone got a lighter??

Rob C.

Offline 69franx

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2015, 08:49:17 pm »
Again, good on ya Mark. Gonna have to go back and read this in full when there is not a raging debate over free will in my living room. This is what I am interested in, just can't focus at the moment with all the nonsense floating around my house right now
Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2015, 08:57:03 pm »
Again, good on ya Mark. Gonna have to go back and read this in full when there is not a raging debate over free will in my living room. This is what I am interested in, just can't focus at the moment with all the nonsense floating around my house right now
If the illusion of free will is indistinguishable from actual free will, then the two are identical from the perspective of the person who is making the choice. Just sayin'  ;D
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline 69franx

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2015, 09:19:30 pm »
But what if the argument is that no one is able to make a/that choice. All of existence is pre-determined. Man is unable to make a choice even when he/she feels a choice has been made. All I know is that "even if you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice"
Frank L.
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline 69franx

« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2015, 09:20:20 pm »
Oh, and apparently this is all scientific fact. Gawd I hate when she comes over...
Frank L.

Offline 69franx

« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2015, 09:21:38 pm »
Sorry for the high jack Mark, I will go back over this post and the blog post in the near future once this blow hard leaves the house
Frank L.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2015, 09:22:48 pm »
Deep stuff, indeed.    ;)
Jon H.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2015, 09:49:54 pm »
"Maybe both is happening at the same time" F Gump

S. cerevisiae

« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2015, 10:07:42 pm »
Sorry for the high jack Mark, I will go back over this post and the blog post in the near future once this blow hard leaves the house

Not a problem, you guys have all read this information at least one time.   I posted the link for newer forum members.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2015, 10:35:10 pm »
Dont worry about repeating. I've seen it before but I dont think I really got it till now. I'm not wired for formulas,  and probably my log and your log are two different things. But I focused and kept reading. I think I grasp it now, maybe. My take away is that cell count calculating is more important when you are pitching quiescent yeast (slury).  Not as important if you are pitching a "close enough" amount of yeast actively in the exponential phase (high krausen). Which, if my understanding is correct, makes me wonder... when a yeast calculator tells me that 300b cells (slury) is enough, why wouldnt 200b in exponential phase also be good enough? Actually better. If it only took 3 hrs to get that 300b slury into the beginning of exponential phase, by that time my 200b high krausen cells have already become 800b. But doesnt it actually take more like 9 hours? By 9 hours mine have maxed out you would think.

Or am I still lost?

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2015, 11:50:54 pm »

I'm with you.  I have little patience for stupid thinking. Free will/determinism is the area 51 of philosophy.

Sorry to Hijack the thread Mark.  You know I'm a fan.  A large part of which is that there is solid reasoning in your posts.
Steve
BJCP #D1667

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.” ― G.K. Chesterton

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2015, 06:43:05 am »
I'm glad yeast doesn't have free will.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.