Author Topic: Yeast Cultures Are Like Nuclear Weapons  (Read 5458 times)

Offline toby

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Galvez, LA
    • Beer Judge Chronicles
Re: Yeast Cultures Are Like Nuclear Weapons
« Reply #30 on: October 31, 2015, 04:42:30 pm »
I truly appreciate the compliment, Toby.  Believe it or not, writing is a subject that did not come to me easily.  I really had to work at becoming an effective writer.  I still struggle with my writing.

I completely understand since I'm in the same boat.  I've worked on it for years myself.  So much so that people don't believe me when I tell them I hate it.  lol

As strange as it may seem, I am not one for cameras or being thrust into the limelight.  Balancing a way to share what I have learned over the years with my need for privacy was at the forefront when making my decision to start sharing information on a large scale.  I see the kind of attention that Drew, Denny, Martin B, Jamil, Gordon, Charlie P, John Palmer, and the other highly visible members of the community draw at NHC, and it makes me very uncomfortable because I am introverted to point where just being in large crowds wears me out.   Being easily recognizable would make me not want to attend NHC.

That's why I suggested teaming up: getting a 'face' that doesn't mind being on camera or at least presenting it with slides and visuals.  After meeting you at NHC, I grok what you're saying.

Offline toby

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Galvez, LA
    • Beer Judge Chronicles
« Reply #31 on: October 31, 2015, 04:46:59 pm »
You could wear a mask. Maybe a top hat to keep it classy.

lol...honestly it wouldn't help.  Even though someone that doesn't like being in the limelight can condition themselves to cope with it better, they will never really enjoy it or get used to it.  That's why some people become content creators/producers/directors/etc. but never show any interest in acting.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #32 on: October 31, 2015, 07:54:32 pm »

As strange as it may seem, I am not one for cameras or being thrust into the limelight.  Balancing a way to share what I have learned over the years with my need for privacy was at the forefront when making my decision to start sharing information on a large scale.  I see the kind of attention that Drew, Denny, Martin B, Jamil, Gordon, Charlie P, John Palmer, and the other highly visible members of the community draw at NHC, and it makes me very uncomfortable because I am introverted to point where just being in large crowds wears me out.   Being easily recognizable would make me not want to attend NHC.

You could wear a mask. Maybe a top hat to keep it classy.
"...to the exponential music of the night!"

Offline mchrispen

• Brewmaster
    • Accidentalis Brewing Blog
« Reply #33 on: October 31, 2015, 08:31:49 pm »
doood.... dude... not sure that is helping!

Mark, totally understand your perspective. I have serious anxiety - yet travel to meet with complete strangers worldwide for the last 12 years. Dad was a preacher - so I might have a bit of that narcissist gene... but moderated with total panic in front of a group.

Do what you need for you - and stay engaged in homebrewing! Cheeers!
Matt Chrispen
Sometime Austin Zealot
Blogging from the garage @ accidentalis.com
>> Bru'n Water Spreadsheet Walkthroughs<<
>> Bru'n Water Subscriber Version 5.3 Spreadsheet Walkthrough <<

Offline pete b

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Barre, Ma
« Reply #34 on: November 01, 2015, 06:58:36 am »
My girlfriend is in the same boat. She is an artist who despises the idea of having to market herself in order to quit her day job. She scores the maximum of thirty as an introvert on Meyers -briggs and won't let anyone take her picture. When she had take a video for a kick starter I suggested she do a time lapse of her doing a drawing.it came out cool and was successful. So you have to go with who you are and be creative. As I'm sure you know an introvert can do very well in social or public settings by planning chunks of alone time to recharge . Also it doesn't hurt that in this community there's usually alcohol involved.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

S. cerevisiae

« Reply #35 on: November 01, 2015, 07:21:56 am »
Being in front of and meeting people does not unnerve me.  However, having to meet a large number of people at one time and/or being immersed in a large crowd for more than a short period of time often can result in an extreme level of exhaustion.  I also find myself grasping for words because my mind is racing a mile a minute when new people are approaching me at a fair clip.  I used to go silent in these kinds of situations as a child, and it still occurs from time to time.  A lot of people will misread my reticence to engage them in public as being snobbish or conceited, but it is textbook introvert overstimulation. I did my best to deny it for a long time.  I did all kind of things to "get over it" like taking a job in sales engineering and playing lead guitar in gigging rock bands.  However, I finally came to peace with the fact that I prefer solitude and one-on-one or small group conversations to being immersed in large groups of friends and acquaintances. Social media is an introvert's dream come true because he/she can speak with a large audience in the quiet serenity of his/her own space.

With that said, there are a few highly visible people within the home brewing community that are introverts.  I will not call them out, but two are very high visibility members of the community.  I have had one-on-one conversations with both of these individuals, and there is zero doubt in my mind that they are introverts.  From the quick glance away when these two individuals shake your hand, to observing how they manage their down time, these two are introverts who have mastered pseudo-extrovertism.

S. cerevisiae

« Reply #36 on: November 01, 2015, 07:25:31 am »
She scores the maximum of thirty as an introvert on Meyers -briggs and won't let anyone take her picture.

I scored pretty high on the introverted scale on the Meyers-Briggs Type Indicator.  I am an INTP.

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #37 on: November 01, 2015, 07:43:28 am »
She scores the maximum of thirty as an introvert on Meyers -briggs and won't let anyone take her picture.

I scored pretty high on the introverted scale on the Meyers-Briggs Type Indicator.  I am an INTP.
I'm an INTP as well but am really near the middle in each category. My mild introversion shows up in preferring smaller groups and enjoying interacting with people but being completely wiped out after.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline toby

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Galvez, LA
    • Beer Judge Chronicles
« Reply #38 on: November 01, 2015, 08:57:44 am »
Being in front of and meeting people does not unnerve me.  However, having to meet a large number of people at one time and/or being immersed in a large crowd for more than a short period of time often can result in an extreme level of exhaustion.

Exactly.  I'm fine one on one, or with small groups, but wear easily trying to interact with large crowds.

With that said, there are a few highly visible people within the home brewing community that are introverts.  I will not call them out, but two are very high visibility members of the community.  I have had one-on-one conversations with both of these individuals, and there is zero doubt in my mind that they are introverts.  From the quick glance away when these two individuals shake your hand, to observing how they manage their down time, these two are introverts who have mastered pseudo-extrovertism.

I'm pretty sure I know at least one of them that you're referring to, but won't call him out either.  ;)  That being said, I wouldn't have been surprised if you were INTJ either (as a fairly extreme INTP myself).

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
« Reply #39 on: November 01, 2015, 09:08:47 am »
INTJ here.  And I've been a pastor for 25 years.  I have zero desire to be in front of people or in large groups.  Like has been said, I expend energy in large groups and regain energy being alone. It is not that I dislike people or don't value them as much as any extrovert.  How I have learned to best manage it is to be in task mode.

One of the oldest personality tests/descriptors is the Four Temperaments test (Choleric, sanguine, melancholic, phlegmatic) I personally like the DiSC tool for this personality assessment.   Anyway, it describes the difference being discussed here as either being people oriented or task oriented.  I am clearly task oriented.  So when I am in large groups I go into task mode and that helps.  I operate from a strength rather than a weakness that way.
Steve
BJCP #D1667

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.” ― G.K. Chesterton

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #40 on: November 01, 2015, 09:37:32 am »
introverts who have mastered pseudo-extrovertism.

Pretty much describes me....
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

S. cerevisiae

« Reply #41 on: November 01, 2015, 12:59:27 pm »
I'm pretty sure I know at least one of them that you're referring to, but won't call him out either.  ;)  That being said, I wouldn't have been surprised if you were INTJ either (as a fairly extreme INTP myself).

I am a solid INTP.  It seemed like every employer with whom I interviewed from the late eighties until my current employer made me sit for the Keirsey Temperamet Sorter.  It was almost like I had "cooties" after a few discovered that I was an INTP.  Like attractiveness, it pays to be an extrovert in Western countries.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #42 on: November 01, 2015, 01:09:21 pm »
True, but there seems to be a high percentage of millionaires who are task oriented homely introverts. Only 1 or 2% got rich off looks.

I looked up that test, and yes I too am INTP. Go figure, probably explains why I'd rather get shot at than attend a community problem solving cathartic group hug worry fest.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2015, 01:23:10 pm by klickitat jim »

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #43 on: November 01, 2015, 01:10:32 pm »

I am a solid INTP.  It seemed like every employer with whom I interviewed from the late eighties until my current employer made me sit for the Keirsey Temperamet Sorter.  It was almost like I had "cooties" after a few discovered that I was an INTP.  Like attractiveness, it pays to be an extrovert in Western countries.
When I was in school we all took Meyers Briggs in our senior design class. We were told INTP was the most common classification for engineers. Introverts quietly change the world. Employers are stupid to avoid them.

Offline Whiskers

• Cellarman
« Reply #44 on: November 02, 2015, 04:53:24 pm »
Thanks for the write up.  The test is very clear.  I do have a couple of critiques - hope you don't mind.  Readability would be greatly improved if the equations were written with an equation editor rather than as text.  Also, the benefits/lack of deficits of the reasoning seem to point directly to the loss of lag time, and hence to better chances of owning the wort.  I'd like to understand, and perhaps others would as well, how pitching rates, cell/membrane health, and O2 (of the starter wort and eventual beer wort) affect ester/phenol/higher alcohol production in the final beer. 

It seems that within the advanced homebrewing community, most people are more concerned with developing a certain flavor balance rather than struggling with fermentation where the yeast have not owned the wort.  There's a lot of leeway in initial cell count with regards to time-before-wort-is-owned, but how do the replications affect the other critical aspects?  I understand all yeast behave differently in this regard, but what about general trends?  If cell count is low down the totem pole, how could one manipulate their starter protocol to make a very ester-filled mild vs. being very confident that their pils is nearly free of esters? 

I do understand that there is plenty of information out there about these questions, but perhaps the gospel is not what we thought it was, especially in regards to the over-reliance on cell numbers in the past.