Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: YIKES! reverse pressure when I crashed  (Read 3591 times)

Offline PAYCHECK

• Cellarman
    • Split Hops Brewing
YIKES! reverse pressure when I crashed
« on: October 31, 2015, 08:27:22 am »
OMG, not sure what is going to happen but I am really mad at myself, when I cold crashed my Kristallweizen the vacuum hose sucked up the sanitized air lock water into the beer, appears it was only a few drops but I am wondering if anyone else has had that problem and if so did you just toss the beer and not even bottle it?

I am sick about this and wondering for the future how to do this without jeopardizing the beer by removing the air lock during crashing.
Brewing is all I ever think about!

Offline mchrispen

• Brewmaster
    • Accidentalis Brewing Blog
Re: YIKES! reverse pressure when I crashed
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2015, 08:33:06 am »
Taste the beer and make a decision. I think most of us have accidentally done that a few times. Honestly, I just replace the airlock with foil during cold crashing... Never seen a problem with it.
Matt Chrispen
Sometime Austin Zealot
Blogging from the garage @ accidentalis.com
>> Bru'n Water Spreadsheet Walkthroughs<<
>> Bru'n Water Subscriber Version 5.3 Spreadsheet Walkthrough <<

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2015, 08:39:19 am »
I wouldn't dump - a few drops of water (or StarSan for that matter) isn't an issue whatsoever in a batch of beer. Airlock suck back is annoying but not as big an issue as it would seem. I've never gotten oxidized beer from when I did this.

Regardless there are options to avoid it: You can replace the airlock with a solid stopper to prevent suck back, you could use an 'S' airlock which won't prevent suck back but also won't pull water/sanitizer back into the fermenter. Or if you keg (like I do) you just keg the beer before you crash. No worries.
Jon H.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2015, 08:49:59 am »
Most likely you will be fine, especially since the beer was cold. Highly doubt you will have any issue what so ever.

Offline PAYCHECK

• Cellarman
    • Split Hops Brewing
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2015, 09:08:10 am »
Thank you guys for the moral support, I am going to bottle it up today and will get back to you in month once I have had a chance to taste the product.  Wish me luck.  Oh ps. saw a great video from Tony Yates on Northern Rock Brewery, love this guy, and he has a b****en solution for airlock suck back.  Watch this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZiVc-XjgU18 or skip to the part at 2:23 into the video and watch that section.  I knew their was a solution, I just wished I had watched this before I crashed and burned. :-)

Thanks again until next month.

Offline toby

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Galvez, LA
    • Beer Judge Chronicles
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2015, 09:14:22 am »
You didn't say what you were using in the airlock, but unless you were only making a one gallon batch, you should be more than fine.  Starsan at recommended dilution tastes like weak lemonade.  There isn't much flavor difference it's going to make at airlock volumes in a 5 gallon batch.  You are not the first to have this happen, and you surely won't be the last.  ;)

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2015, 09:29:57 am »
If you use an s-type airlock with the little lid, air can flow both ways without bringing sanitizer with it. The lid will keep most anything out. While his solution works, it's not 100% needed either.

I use sold stoppers when I cold crash. Deforms my better bottles, but they spring back when it's removed.

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2015, 10:01:46 am »
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2015, 10:16:41 am »
The solution is to not use an airlock when you cold crash...yes, it's really that simple!  Fermentation is done, you don't need an airlock.  Just seal the fermenter.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline PAYCHECK

• Cellarman
    • Split Hops Brewing
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2015, 11:21:35 am »
The solution is to not use an airlock when you cold crash...yes, it's really that simple!  Fermentation is done, you don't need an airlock.  Just seal the fermenter.
Good point especially since I am using a glass carboy no risk of it caving.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2015, 11:42:45 am »
Good point especially since I am using a glass carboy no risk of it caving.

Put some foil on the top and put a rubber band around it...Bob's yer uncle.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline brewinhard

« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2015, 11:49:20 am »
+1 to the Denny method above.  Foil over the mouth of the carboy with a rubber band and good to go. 

Offline toby

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Galvez, LA
    • Beer Judge Chronicles
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2015, 04:30:26 pm »
Put some foil on the top and put a rubber band around it...Bob's yer uncle.

Yeah, this.  I have the better bottle waterless ones, but if I cold crash in the bottles, I take them out because I've caved in the bottles otherwise.  They pop out, but I don't want them to crease.

Offline norcaljp

• Assistant Brewer
  • I prefer to drink my bread, thank you
    • The Brewins
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2015, 04:35:07 pm »
Same here, I just use foil to prevent it. I've forgotten once or twice, and the beer was just fine.
Joel Prater

I prefer to drink my bread, thank you