Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Year old grains  (Read 5473 times)

Offline leejoreilly

• Assistant Brewer
  • Washington, MI
Re: Year old grains
« Reply #30 on: November 02, 2015, 05:59:42 am »
Keep in mind that grains (and hops, for that matter) are agricultural products that are available only after a harvest. I recognize the variations in harvest times - Northern vs Southern hemispheres, winter vs summer grain harvests, etc. But the point is still worth mentioning: the grain and the hops we use in our brews may be months (and months, and months) old when we buy them. I'm guessing that proper storage plays a huge role in grain/hop freshness.

But I can see that crushed grain may be more susceptible to staling than uncrushed, given the greater surface area exposure.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #31 on: November 02, 2015, 09:28:30 am »
As I said in my very first post about this: It will be fine but may not be ideal. You are going to lose some of the flavor and aroma. Crush some grain and put it aside for a month or two. Then come back to it later and compare it next to fresh crushed grain.

I'm not saying don't use them, I'm saying they may not make the best beer possible compared to using fresh crushed malt. Really, I'm not sure why there is a debate about that. I am flummoxed.

Offline udubdawg

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #32 on: November 02, 2015, 10:22:15 am »
I assume most brewers are not trying to make a "just good enough" beer.

Interesting.  While I feel this holds true on the AHA forum, if we're really talking about "most" brewers my feeling is exactly the opposite.

Offline toby

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Galvez, LA
    • Beer Judge Chronicles
« Reply #33 on: November 02, 2015, 11:37:28 am »
I cant imagine any world cup gold winning recipe calls for letting your grain sit around for a year.

Maybe a recipe for a world class gueuze (along with the hops)?  ;)

RPIScotty

« Reply #34 on: November 02, 2015, 12:00:43 pm »
I just thought that it was interesting that the OP bought brand new Pilsner malt, tasted it and report no discernible difference in flavor. All my subsequent questions were addressing this as I felt it was pertinent.

Doesn't bother me either way. I've tasted old crushed grain that tasted great and I have tasted old crushed grain that did not taste very good. I used the former and chucked the latter.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #35 on: November 02, 2015, 12:03:12 pm »
One can also do a mini-mash on both new and old and see if there is a difference in Gravity and taste.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #36 on: November 03, 2015, 05:42:25 am »
I just thought that it was interesting that the OP bought brand new Pilsner malt, tasted it and report no discernible difference in flavor. All my subsequent questions were addressing this as I felt it was pertinent.

Doesn't bother me either way. I've tasted old crushed grain that tasted great and I have tasted old crushed grain that did not taste very good. I used the former and chucked the latter.

If it tasted good enough for him he should use it. That's on him. I never said he shouldn't use the grains. I just gave an opinion and left it up to him to decide if he wanted to use it or not. At no time did I say "NEVER USE CRUSHED GRAIN OVER 4 SECONDS OLD" or anything extreme to the like. I simply said it won't be as good as fresh crushed.

And yes, once grain becomes oxidized it is ruined, but it also becomes less "friable" so you should be able to notice it immediately.

And I certainly notice a fuller malt character and aroma in grains that are crushed within a few weeks as opposed to that that has sat for a few months, even if the latter tastes fine. And even though the latter still makes palatable beer.

And that, my fellow forum junkies, is really all I am going to add to this convo sicne I feel like I have said pretty much the same thing in every post. Peace. Out. ;)
« Last Edit: November 03, 2015, 09:07:39 am by majorvices »