Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Quick show of hands... gel solution with dry hops.  (Read 3264 times)

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
    • The new Mayfair Court Brewhouse
Re: Quick show of hands... gel solution with dry hops.
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2015, 09:55:23 pm »
I understand that it's just personal preference, but since you asked: I think gelatin is disgusting, and I would not put it in my beer.
I've heard people say this before and I don't understand it at all.  It's not like it makes Jell-O beer.  It's a tasteless clarifier and I use it on every batch... sometimes twice depending on the beer and conditions.  What is your aversion to it?
Ken from Chicago. 
A day without beer is like... just kidding, I have no idea.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2015, 05:56:42 am »

I understand that it's just personal preference, but since you asked: I think gelatin is disgusting, and I would not put it in my beer.
Why?

He's from LA. Obviously vegan. Don't let him know that there is gluten in beer or he'll stop drinking all together!  :P ;D

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2015, 06:11:19 am »
Biofine-clear is vegan friendly.

Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline dilluh98

• Brewmaster
« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2015, 06:38:01 am »

Non-celiac disease gluten haters on the other hand... I don't have much patience for such a silly fad. Take your quinoa beer elsewhere.   :P

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2015, 07:00:28 am »
If someone is vegetarian/vegan and dislikes gel then I can see it.  I agree that I roll my eyes at all the gluten-free stuff which reminds me of the carb-craze from a few years ago.  But I would like to know why someone sees gel as "disgusting" for reasons other than being veggie/vegan. 

I'm about to go find my gel granules and make some gel!  :D
Ken from Chicago. 

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2015, 08:25:16 am »

Yep. And I have had people ask me over and over again if my beer was vegan. Glad to be able to tell them that, yes. It is! (Usually...;))

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
« Reply #22 on: November 01, 2015, 09:50:04 am »
Not.

THIS^^^^^
Oh, pffft!  Like I'm going to listen to you!  :P

In my 16+ years of brewing I have never had anyone ask me if my beer was vegan or if I ever made a gluten-free beer.  I understand that celiac disease is real but I also know a number of people who used to wolf pretzels like they were M&Ms and don't eat them now because they're trying to eliminate gluten... which is fine.  It's just not a concern of mine.
Ken from Chicago. 

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #23 on: November 01, 2015, 09:52:15 am »
I think properly informed vegans will know to ask. I feel it is a vegan's responsibility to know what he or she eating.

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
« Reply #24 on: November 01, 2015, 09:57:48 am »
I think properly informed vegans will know to ask. I feel it is a vegan's responsibility to know what he or she eating.
That's a good point.  Some may not even think there was a reason to ask because why would beer contain something they don't want to consume?  But I notice that SO MANY products now say "gluten-free" on them no matter what.  Hey look, gluten-free Coke.  Wow!  :D
Ken from Chicago. 

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #25 on: November 01, 2015, 10:38:49 am »
Not.

THIS^^^^^
Oh, pffft!  Like I'm going to listen to you!  :P

In my 16+ years of brewing I have never had anyone ask me if my beer was vegan or if I ever made a gluten-free beer.  I understand that celiac disease is real but I also know a number of people who used to wolf pretzels like they were M&Ms and don't eat them now because they're trying to eliminate gluten... which is fine.  It's just not a concern of mine.

But that's not my reasoning...super clear beer, especially for a hoppy beer just isn't necessary IMO.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #26 on: November 01, 2015, 10:40:07 am »

So they have to ask about everything?  I can't eat grapefruit without medical consequence.  There are a lot of people putting grapefruit in beer these days.  Do I have to ask about every beer I drink?  It should be the server's responsibility.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #27 on: November 01, 2015, 10:59:51 am »

So they have to ask about everything?  I can't eat grapefruit without medical consequence.  There are a lot of people putting grapefruit in beer these days.  Do I have to ask about every beer I drink?  It should be the server's responsibility.
I understand what you are saying Denny, but I don't think a server should be expected to know that grapefruit can cause severe drug interactions. With many beers it would be obvious based on the description or name, but I could certainly see some beers might be a bit stealthy. Ultimately the responsibility is with you as it would be with any other person with a special dietary consideration.

Maybe there is some merit to the argument that beer ingredients should be listed on packaging. I'm sure it could be done without getting too granular and many beers would simply list "water, malted barley, hops, yeast"

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #28 on: November 01, 2015, 11:20:21 am »
Server: "Here's your beer, wait... you're not alergic to balls are you?"

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #29 on: November 01, 2015, 11:49:52 am »
Here's a picture of my IPA, not fined, tasted great.

That's my foosball table in the background too. :)