Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Quick show of hands... gel solution with dry hops.  (Read 3164 times)

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
Re: Quick show of hands... gel solution with dry hops.
« Reply #30 on: November 01, 2015, 11:51:28 am »
Server: "Here's your beer, wait... you're not alergic to balls are you?"

hahaha! Too f'ing funny.

Offline tommymorris

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Quick show of hands... gel solution with dry hops.
« Reply #31 on: November 01, 2015, 12:21:58 pm »
Here's a picture of my IPA, not fined, tasted great.

That's my foosball table in the background too. :)
Don't play him in foosball unless you want to be embarrassed.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #32 on: November 01, 2015, 12:30:04 pm »
That's a great looking beer!  Nothing says you need to use gelatin by any means. I'm in a phase where I'm using it, but I made many killer IPAs that looked pretty much just like that prior.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2015, 01:15:43 pm by HoosierBrew »
Jon H.

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
« Reply #33 on: November 01, 2015, 01:09:47 pm »
He's from LA. Obviously vegan. Don't let him know that there is gluten in beer or he'll stop drinking all together!  :P ;D

Yeah, something like that  :)

In my 16+ years of brewing I have never had anyone ask me if my beer was vegan or if I ever made a gluten-free beer.

I have, but to be fair it was when I brought some homebrew to a vegan cooking class my wife and I were taking (we aren't actually vegan).

My aversion to gelatin is only due to what it is made from.  Disgusting was probably too strong of a word.  I certainly didn't mean to imply that there is anything wrong with using it.  I'm sure I've drank plenty of (delicious) beer in which it was used.

Server: "Here's your beer, wait... you're not alergic to balls are you?"

Best comment ever
Sometimes you just can't get enough - JAMC

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
    • The new Mayfair Court Brewhouse
« Reply #34 on: November 01, 2015, 01:29:35 pm »
I know there are many brewers who don't see the need for it and I'm okay with that.  I also know a number of brewers who are all about the clarity and I'm good with that as well.  Most of the people who might find themselves at my taps are everyday beer drinkers.  They are typically open-minded people who will try various styles of beer and just plain say it if they try something that they don't care for.  But some of these people are more along the lines of Bud Light, etc. and wouldn't dream of drinking a beer that someone made at home.  There are not many of those people but there are some.  Generally speaking, the flavor of the beer is the priority.  After that comes the appearance of the beer.  No point in having a clear, nasty-tasting beer.  But if I have a good beer to serve, appearance matters to me and I would like it to be as attractive as possible.  Narcout... I was not offended about the "disgusting" part at all.  I have had other brewers at my house who have kid me by saying, "Mmm, good beer even if it does have 'stuff' in it I wouldn't use in my beer!".  :D
Ken from Chicago. 
A day without beer is like... just kidding, I have no idea.

Offline Footballandhops

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #35 on: November 02, 2015, 01:42:52 am »

I'll probably be frowned on for this. Your post said pale ale, so I'm assuming not IPA. Now that I only do a 60 min bittering, and all the rest go in whirlpool at 170 for 30, I get way plenty of aroma. At least as much aroma as SNPA or Mirror Pond or Liberty. I use no dry hops. I crash to 30 in the primary and gel fine. Beer comes out brilliant with plenty of aroma.

But its your beer. Don't fear the haze, but you don't have to have haze to have plenty of aroma for an APA. By the way, my nose isn't good. So if hop aroma is in abundance to me,,, it's plenty

How many ounces of late hops do you typically use with that method, sir?

I like it
Batch Sparging Bottle Dreggggg Harvesting Son-ova Biznatch Raging Against the Machine

https://itun.es/us/PN5dq?i=269457903

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #36 on: November 02, 2015, 08:11:51 am »
14-28 grams at 60 min
56-120 grams at whirlpool