Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Time to upgrade my boil pot. Suggestions please.  (Read 5949 times)

Offline Philbrew

• Brewmaster
Time to upgrade my boil pot. Suggestions please.
« on: October 31, 2015, 01:54:44 pm »
I started out with a turkey fryer set-up that I picked up for $25 in an after Thanksgiving sale.  It has a decent propane burner and a 30 qt. aluminum pot.  Ten months into this hobby, it's time to upgrade to a quality stainless pot, probably 10 gallons or so.  I brew 5-6 gallon batches (mostly 6).

* Tri-clad bottom seems like good idea.  (Staying with propane for heat)

* My back wants it to have a valve so I don't have to pick it up to pour into the fermenter. Your thoughts on valves, pickup tubes, screens, etc. would be appreciated.

* I use leaf hops in the boil.

* I want to go to all grain (thinking maybe BIAB).

* I have a copper coil immersion chiller that works well with my ground water temps.

* My current pot has riveted handles.  The rivets are a PITA to clean around.  Do quality pots have better rivets or are welded handles the way to go?  Some of the high end pots I've seen online appear to have riveted handles.

While cost is always a consideration, I also believe in quality and "cry once".
Thank you all in advance for your thoughts, experience and suggestions.
Many of us would be on a strict liquid diet if it weren't for pretzels.

Offline jimmykx250

• Brewer
Re: Time to upgrade my boil pot. Suggestions please.
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2015, 02:03:03 pm »
FWIW I went with a 15 gal alum pot from amazon and i love it. Put a valve on it so i dont have to lift it when full. I also do BIAB & had a bag made to fit it. I love biab for what I brew. It also has riveted handles but i just deal with them when cleaning.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2015, 03:11:04 pm by jimmykx250 »
Jimmykx250

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2015, 02:26:19 pm »
Kettles are like trucks, everybody has their preference.

I've been looking at Spikes new kettles that should be shipping in the next few weeks. They have features comparable to kettles at higher price points and include very pretty welded fittings.

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2015, 03:32:14 pm »
I went with the 10 Gallon BrewBuilt Brewing Kettle. It is beefy stainless steel, has tri clad, volume graduation marks, a spigot, accessory port, and lid with a cut out for immersion cooler.

Offline BrodyR

• Brewmaster
  • Philadelphia, PA
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2015, 05:22:12 pm »
I use a 10 Gallon Blichman Boilermaker - I absolutely love it. Sight glass, thermometer, valve, easy to clean. They are a bit of a splurge though, I found mine on sale. Originally I used it for batch sparging but now BIAB in it.

Offline Philbrew

• Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2015, 08:13:18 pm »
I've been looking at Spikes new kettles that should be shipping in the next few weeks. They have features comparable to kettles at higher price points and include very pretty welded fittings.
Yeah, I've been looking hard online at Spike's new V-3 as well as SS Brew Tech, Blichman, BrewBuilt and others.

The Spike and BrewBuilt have welded fittings.  The SS Brew Tech and Blichman have weldless fittings.  The weldless fittings would appear to be easy to disassemble and clean while welded fittings would be, for sure, no-leak.  Anyone have experience/problems with weldless fittings?

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2015, 08:30:07 pm »
I've got the new Blichmann 15 gallon boil pot.  I love it.  A lot of thought has gone into it.  No issues with the weldless fittings.
Steve
BJCP #D1667

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.” ― G.K. Chesterton

Offline Stevie

Time to upgrade my boil pot. Suggestions please.
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2015, 09:10:39 pm »
I think the "cons" of weldless fittings are overblown. That said, I have always had a kettle with welded fittings.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2015, 09:14:20 pm by Steve in TX »

Offline jimmykx250

• Brewer
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2015, 05:42:48 am »
Ive had no problems with my bolt on fitting. And its easy to soak every once and a while for the deep clean.
Jimmykx250

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2015, 08:25:46 am »
You mention the possibility of biab. Most biab brewers are doing smaller batches and would likely get a 5 gallon kettle, where a batch sparge or other all grain set up would require a larger (I have 15 gal for 5+ gal sizes and a 5 gallon for 2.5-3 gal batches.
I have always gotten my kettles at restaurant supply stores rather than home brew shops.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline Philbrew

• Brewmaster
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2015, 09:41:32 pm »
You mention the possibility of biab. Most biab brewers are doing smaller batches and would likely get a 5 gallon kettle, where a batch sparge or other all grain set up would require a larger (I have 15 gal for 5+ gal sizes and a 5 gallon for 2.5-3 gal batches.
I have always gotten my kettles at restaurant supply stores rather than home brew shops.
I'm confused.  Would a 10 gallon kettle be large enough to do BIAB for a 6 gallon batch (6 gal. in the fermenter)?  I need to do some more research on BIAB.

Offline Stevie

« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2015, 09:49:22 pm »
Bigger beers would require topping off or sparging as there wouldn't be enough room to hold the entire amount of liquor and grain.

Offline Philbrew

• Brewmaster
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2015, 09:53:22 pm »
I use a 10 Gallon Blichman Boilermaker - I absolutely love it. Sight glass, thermometer, valve, easy to clean. They are a bit of a splurge though, I found mine on sale. Originally I used it for batch sparging but now BIAB in it.
What is the batch size (in the fermenter) that you BIAB in your 10 gallon Blichman?

Offline Philbrew

• Brewmaster
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2015, 10:04:44 pm »
Bigger beers would require topping off or sparging as there wouldn't be enough room to hold the entire amount of liquor and grain.
Ahhh, so normally you would do BIAB with enough water to end up with the full boil volume when you pull the bag.  But you could use less water for the mash step (1-1/2 to 2 qts./lb) then top up after you pull the bag.  Is that correct?

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2015, 05:39:52 am »
I'm confused.  Would a 10 gallon kettle be large enough to do BIAB for a 6 gallon batch (6 gal. in the fermenter)?  I need to do some more research on BIAB.
What I was referring to is the fact that many people, myself included, feel that biab is great for batches smaller than 5 gallons but impractical for say 5 gallons and up. The reason is that the hot bag of wet grain becomes hard to work with when the amount of grain for those sized batches are used. So I biab inside on the stove mostly in the winter making 2.5-3 gal batches (fermenter) using a 5 gal kettle and when its OK to brew outside I make 5 gallon + batches outside batch sparging in a 10 gal cooler and boiling in a 15 gallon kettle. Some do 5gallon batches biab but at that point you IME ate better off batch sparging.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.