Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Marzen  (Read 5998 times)

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
Re: Marzen
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2015, 09:35:53 am »
A small % of dark munich malt (15L or so) is also a nice addition to a good ofest/marzen to bump up the malty background.
Aromatic malt works well in this regard also. My Maerzen is essentially the BCS recipe with the CaraMunich replaced by half as much Aromatic.
Sounds a bit like Saranac's Dark-toberfest. I have always been of fan of that beer. They use Munich, Dark Munich, CaraMunich and Pilsner.
That sounds like it's approaching Bock territory. I like my Maerzens malty, but not so rich. I use Pils, Vienna, Light Munich and a splash of Aromatic.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline dak0415

• Brewmaster
  • Winston-Salem, NC
« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2015, 11:13:06 am »
Keith, how do you feel about Melanoidin?
Dave Koenig
Anything worth doing - is worth overdoing!

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2015, 11:38:49 am »
I like Pils and Munich. I don't recall the exact proportions but it's more munich than pils, maybe 60-40. This is one of the only recipes that I step mash. I start at ~150 for 15 minutes and bump to 155 for another 45 minutes to finish.
I get the malty flavor with a nice dry crisp finish. it does well in competitions.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline 69franx

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2015, 11:53:30 am »
Jonathan, what I got from you last year was 65/35 Pilsner to Munich. Have not made this yet, but am still planning on it. I want to try out a step mash with this recipe as you mention
Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
« Reply #19 on: November 02, 2015, 11:55:40 am »
Jonathan, what I got from you last year was 65/35 Pilsner to Munich. Have not made this yet, but am still planning on it. I want to try out a step mash with this recipe as you mention
Lesson: do not trust Jonathan's memory.
-A Einstein

- J Joyce

Offline 69franx

« Reply #20 on: November 02, 2015, 11:57:23 am »
I think 60/40 and 65/35 are pretty damn close. the only reason I even had it close at hand was that I am still thinking about making this recipe soon(so what if its out of season.) i guess what I am saying is that I was t=not trying to correct you, just more to back you up
Frank L.
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline blatz

• Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #21 on: November 02, 2015, 12:12:20 pm »
I think 60/40 and 65/35 are pretty damn close.

not when the ratio of the components is reversed.

jonathan - do you have any pics of your marzen using this grist?  I've been brewing a lot of viennas and marzens lately using varying grists, and have been intrigued as to how deviant they are from calculated SRM expectations.  I'd expect a 65/35 pils/munich grist to be deep gold - maybe 6-7?
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline 69franx

« Reply #22 on: November 02, 2015, 12:15:11 pm »
Beersmith puts it at 7.1 srm
Frank L.

Offline PORTERHAUS

• Brewer
  • NW Indiana
« Reply #23 on: November 02, 2015, 02:36:14 pm »
A small % of dark munich malt (15L or so) is also a nice addition to a good ofest/marzen to bump up the malty background.
Aromatic malt works well in this regard also. My Maerzen is essentially the BCS recipe with the CaraMunich replaced by half as much Aromatic.

I did the same thing almost. I subbed in some Melanoidin in place of the Caramunich. I wanted the richness of the malt flavor without cloying sweetness and it wormed out well. I also lowered my mash temp to 148-150*. Looking back a bit more body would have been ok. So 152-154* would have been fine for me.

Offline chumley

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #24 on: November 02, 2015, 03:06:38 pm »
I would take the OP's recipe and tweak it by swapping out all the caramunich with carared, and bump up the hops to about 30 IBUs.  That's how I like my O'fests.

That said, I am going to try brewing a Czech version of a Marzen bier, a fest bier, also called Polotmavé Speciální.  Probably going to add some melanoidin malt, and a little dark grain to get a nice red color.

I plan on having Czech light, amber, and dark lagers on tap for Christmas.

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
« Reply #25 on: November 02, 2015, 04:20:31 pm »
I think 60/40 and 65/35 are pretty damn close.

not when the ratio of the components is reversed.

jonathan - do you have any pics of your marzen using this grist?  I've been brewing a lot of viennas and marzens lately using varying grists, and have been intrigued as to how deviant they are from calculated SRM expectations.  I'd expect a 65/35 pils/munich grist to be deep gold - maybe 6-7?
I do have a picture but it's not hosted anywhere useful right now. deep gold is about right. It's not amber. I'll try to get a picture of it up here eventually.
-A Einstein

- J Joyce

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
« Reply #26 on: November 02, 2015, 04:24:02 pm »
I think 60/40 and 65/35 are pretty damn close. the only reason I even had it close at hand was that I am still thinking about making this recipe soon(so what if its out of season.) i guess what I am saying is that I was t=not trying to correct you, just more to back you up

No worries. My memory is crap. I know this to be true and yet still, on occasion I attempt to pull some piece of info out of it unassisted. I'm glad for any correction.
-A Einstein

- J Joyce

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
« Reply #27 on: November 02, 2015, 07:33:07 pm »

FWIW, the O-fest Ken sent me for the swap had little crystal (my preference) and had a nice reddish color. Really nice beer. This was the recipe he posted :

"that was wlp833... 46% Vienna, 33% avangard munich light, 8.5% avangard munich dark, 8.5% weyermann carahell,4% weyermann carared. 26IBU 5.9%ABV."

I liked it enough that I'll brew it sometime.

Took me some fiddling to get there but this recipe does it for me. The carahell and carared provide nice color, aroma and just the right malt richness. You're able to attenuate well and finish dry and crisp with right water profile and hop schedule.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Harveys-Brewhaus/405092862905115

http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?title=The_Science_of_Mashing

Serving:        In Process:
Vienna IPA          O'Fest
Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next:
Ger Pils
O'Fest

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #28 on: November 03, 2015, 05:50:15 am »
Keith, how do you feel about Melanoidin?

I think its a nice touch if used with a balanced hand.