Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Cleaning and reusing blow off tubes  (Read 2880 times)

Offline Ready4Launch

• 1st Kit
Cleaning and reusing blow off tubes
« on: November 02, 2015, 02:51:21 pm »
I brewed yesterday.  This morning, I've resolved to never brew again until each and every fermenter has a blow off tube.  No more bubbler tops.   >:(

I brewed a Rye IPA from NB with Wyeast 1450 and a Hefe with WLP300.  I woke up this morning with the Hefe exploded.  Fortunately, this was kept in the garage and not the closet.  The rye was placed into a new Big Mouth Bubbler with the universal lid, which, by the way, I don't like, and the lid was pressed out.

So, I actually had some tubes from a previous batch, but they weren't clean.  How do you get all the crud out?

#tired

Offline Phil_M

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Southern Maryland
Re: Cleaning and reusing blow off tubes
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2015, 03:15:04 pm »
My last two all-grain batches have ended up with infections after using a blow-off tube that I THOUGHT was clean.

In the future, batches susceptible to giant krausens will be brewed in 8 gallon buckets, or treated with fermcap-s, or both.
Corn is a fine adjunct in beer.

And don't buy stale beer.

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2015, 03:17:43 pm »
I soak mine in hot oxyclean and rinse them with hot water followed by some starsan. The starsan after cleaning is only because I tend to get some calcium deposits with my water and the starsan rinse leaves the tubing sparkling making it easy to find left overs.

Offline ShawnMull

• 1st Kit
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2015, 03:36:37 pm »
I used hot water to rinse it and get anything visible that would fall off. For anything that wouldn't I used luke warm water with PBW in the bottling bucket for 24 hours. Rinsed with cold water (per instructions) and it was spotless. I hit it with some StarSan and it was like new.

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2015, 03:46:16 pm »
Pretty much the same here with hot oxy cleaning. I often run them through the dishwasher and let the heat/steam have a go at killing off survivors in the tubing. This may not have any positive effect from a sanitation perspective but it has helped loosen up a few chunks of gunk I couldn't get out before.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline pinnah

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Wesloper, CO
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2015, 06:28:07 am »
The only thing I would add is that it is helpful to clean it early...
I generally replace the tube after fermentation has calmed down
and clean it out before it gets all dried on and hard.

Offline jtoots

• Brewer
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2015, 06:29:42 am »
I just bought 100 ft of tube and when in doubt, chuck it.  Better safe than sorry and I haven't found a way to get crud out of the middle of a tube once it's solidified.

Offline case thrower

• Assistant Brewer
  • NE Ohio
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2015, 07:29:14 am »
I just bought 100 ft of tube and when in doubt, chuck it.  Better safe than sorry and I haven't found a way to get crud out of the middle of a tube once it's solidified.
Absolutely.  Clean the bung and replace the tubing.  I try to remember to replace my tubing every 6 months, no matter how clean it looks.
Dave C.

Woke up this mornin' and I got myself a beer.
The future's uncertain and the end is always near.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2015, 09:23:32 am »
I soak mine in a sink full of hot water and Craftmeister Oxygen cleaner.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell