Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: BIAB. Please share ideas, pros/cons, methods.  (Read 11699 times)

Offline Pricelessbrewing

• Assistant Brewer
  • BrewersFriend
Re: BIAB. Please share ideas, pros/cons, methods.
« Reply #30 on: November 04, 2015, 01:55:42 pm »
Hey guys, new to the AHA forum but I'm pretty active on the BIAB section of HBT as well as r/homebrewing (u/pricelessbrew)

Anyways, there's no reason you can't batch sparge with BIAB as well. I often do something I call 'equal runnings biab', where the volume after removing the bag is equal to the sparged volume, and you can find a thread on homebrewtalk with that title as well where I show some of my findings using a batch sparge simulator modeled after Braukaisers batch sparge efficiency analysis.

I have a BIAB mash calculator that has a bunch of nice features on my blog over at Http://Pricelessbrewing.github.io/BiabCalc and a testing page at Http://Pricelessbrewing.github.io/BiabCalc/TestingO if you'd like to look at the lauter efficiency model, I have an updated version that hasn't been published yet.

Offline Philbrew

• Brewmaster
« Reply #31 on: November 05, 2015, 10:02:15 am »
Hey guys, new to the AHA forum but I'm pretty active on the BIAB section of HBT as well as r/homebrewing (u/pricelessbrew)

Anyways, there's no reason you can't batch sparge with BIAB as well. I often do something I call 'equal runnings biab', where the volume after removing the bag is equal to the sparged volume, and you can find a thread on homebrewtalk with that title as well where I show some of my findings using a batch sparge simulator modeled after Braukaisers batch sparge efficiency analysis.

I have a BIAB mash calculator that has a bunch of nice features on my blog over at Http://Pricelessbrewing.github.io/BiabCalc and a testing page at Http://Pricelessbrewing.github.io/BiabCalc/TestingO if you'd like to look at the lauter efficiency model, I have an updated version that hasn't been published yet.
Can't get your links to work.
Many of us would be on a strict liquid diet if it weren't for pretzels.

Offline Phil_M

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Southern Maryland
« Reply #32 on: November 05, 2015, 10:50:11 am »

I've considered adding a sparge process to my BIAB procedure. However, to me the key advantage of BIAB is everything happens in one pot. Once you add a second pot as an HLT, I think batch sparging in a cooler quickly becomes a better idea.
Corn is a fine adjunct in beer.

And don't buy stale beer.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #33 on: November 05, 2015, 11:34:12 am »
I've considered adding a sparge process to my BIAB procedure. However, to me the key advantage of BIAB is everything happens in one pot. Once you add a second pot as an HLT, I think batch sparging in a cooler quickly becomes a better idea.

How are you going to heat your sparge water without a second pot?
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline neddles

• Brewer
« Reply #34 on: November 05, 2015, 11:41:21 am »
Yeah I can't really think of a good reason to sparge when doing BIAB, unless you are collecting starter wort afterwards.

Offline pete b

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Barre, Ma
« Reply #35 on: November 05, 2015, 11:41:24 am »

I read that as he considered and rejected the idea. Either no pot and no sparge or batch sparge instead of biab.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline pete b

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Barre, Ma
« Reply #36 on: November 05, 2015, 11:46:01 am »
Yeah I can't really think of a good reason to sparge when doing BIAB, unless you are collecting starter wort afterwards.

I actually usually do a sparge with biab. I have plenty of pots around and I have to dirty something to keep the bag in anyway. It makes it so I can get up to boil quicker: the sparge water is around 180 instead of mash temp and I put the heat back on the mash tun while I rinse the bag of grain in the sparge water, then combine. Then I put the bag in the second kettle until it cools off enough to give to the chickens/compost.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline stpug

• Brewmaster
« Reply #37 on: November 05, 2015, 11:53:13 am »

I read that as he considered and rejected the idea. Either no pot and no sparge or batch sparge instead of biab.
I read it the same as pete does. Rejected the idea due to the need of another vessel.

On the other hand, you can sparge with faucet temperature water and that may only require a pitcher that never sees anything but water (so no cleaning involved either).

Offline neddles

• Brewer
« Reply #38 on: November 05, 2015, 12:27:19 pm »

I actually usually do a sparge with biab. I have plenty of pots around and I have to dirty something to keep the bag in anyway. It makes it so I can get up to boil quicker: the sparge water is around 180 instead of mash temp and I put the heat back on the mash tun while I rinse the bag of grain in the sparge water, then combine. Then I put the bag in the second kettle until it cools off enough to give to the chickens/compost.
Do you have a small kettle or limited space? I guess I could see those as good reasons to do it. But if you like doing it and it makes you good beer then that is a good enough reason, really.

Offline Phil_M

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Southern Maryland
« Reply #39 on: November 05, 2015, 12:43:50 pm »

^ That's what I meant. This is also why, in hindsight, I wish I'd just gone with cooler batch sparging in the first place. To me it appears more elegant solution than BIAB, though since I've invested this much I don't see the point of scrapping my PID controlled electric BIAB setup and going batch sparge. I doubt I'd get back what I paid for everything.
Corn is a fine adjunct in beer.

And don't buy stale beer.

Offline BrodyR

• Brewmaster
  • Philadelphia, PA
« Reply #40 on: November 05, 2015, 08:31:44 pm »

I've done batch sparging using the bag to lauter with one pot:
1)Heat all the water in my boilermaker
2)Add the bag/grain to the cooler, open the spigot and fill the cooler up with my mash water.
3)After the mash I transfer the grain bag to the kettle which has the sparge water.
4)When I'm done sparging I remove the bag from kettle and dump the wort from the cooler into the kettle.

But again, to me, the big advantage of BIAB is the speed and ease of it. So once you start bringing coolers, or pulleys, or electric to the setup it looses that. I like being able to lift up the bag, plop it on the strainer, and begin the boil instantly.

Offline Philbrew

• Brewmaster
« Reply #41 on: November 05, 2015, 09:30:19 pm »

2)Add the bag/grain to the cooler, open the spigot and fill the cooler up with my mash water.
3)After the mash I transfer the grain bag to the kettle which has the sparge water.
4)When I'm done sparging I remove the bag from kettle and dump the wort from the cooler into the kettle.

But again, to me, the big advantage of BIAB is the speed and ease of it. So once you start bringing coolers, or pulleys, or electric to the setup it looses that. I like being able to lift up the bag, plop it on the strainer, and begin the boil instantly.
Thanks again Brody for all your time spent on input here, most helpfull.
I thought about doing a similar "dunk sparge" to rinse any remaining sugars out of the grain.  Might be worth it on bigger beers.
Question:  wouldn't the bag do the straining if you just hung it above the pot on a strap with hooks?  Of course, I am brewing in the garage and have lots of places to hang the strap or a small pulley set up.  My SWMBO would not allow an eye-bolt in the kitchen ceiling.  So yeah, strainer.

Offline BrodyR

• Brewmaster
  • Philadelphia, PA
« Reply #42 on: November 06, 2015, 07:29:10 am »

Thanks again Brody for all your time spent on input here, most helpfull.
I thought about doing a similar "dunk sparge" to rinse any remaining sugars out of the grain.  Might be worth it on bigger beers.
Question:  wouldn't the bag do the straining if you just hung it above the pot on a strap with hooks?  Of course, I am brewing in the garage and have lots of places to hang the strap or a small pulley set up.  My SWMBO would not allow an eye-bolt in the kitchen ceiling.  So yeah, strainer.

Yea, I imagine that would work well. If the bag was suspended it would just drip into the kettle.

The dunk sparge thing is nice when brewing higher abv beers or pushing volume. I'm actually brewing 6 gallons today for a 3gallon/3gallon split batch so I'm going to break out the cooler (not sure if my grain and water will fit in the 10 gallon pot for a 6 gallon batch). But anytime I'm doing my normal batch of just under 5 gallons of ~5% beer I just use the kettle.

Offline Philbrew

• Brewmaster
« Reply #43 on: November 06, 2015, 08:46:28 am »
Yea, I imagine that would work well. If the bag was suspended it would just drip into the kettle.

The dunk sparge thing is nice when brewing higher abv beers or pushing volume. I'm actually brewing 6 gallons today for a 3gallon/3gallon split batch so I'm going to break out the cooler (not sure if my grain and water will fit in the 10 gallon pot for a 6 gallon batch). But anytime I'm doing my normal batch of just under 5 gallons of ~5% beer I just use the kettle.
I'd be interested in what you think after your brew day today.  Could you have done the 6 gallon batch BIAB in the 10 gallon pot?

Offline BrodyR

• Brewmaster
  • Philadelphia, PA
« Reply #44 on: November 06, 2015, 09:01:38 am »

I'd be interested in what you think after your brew day today.  Could you have done the 6 gallon batch BIAB in the 10 gallon pot?

I'm not sure to be honest - I have 8.5gallons of strike water so I fear adding 10lbs of grain would overflow. If I didn't have the cooler I would have reserved a gallon or two and added it after the mash. 5 gallons normal to low gravity has been no problem but I didn't want to push it.

I may have already mentioned but usually I do 4.5-4.75gallon batches since I ferment in 5 gallon corny kegs. Today's unusual since I'm trying to get a bit more for a wort split (pils/saaz). Gonna pitch abbey yeast and czech lager yeast in different carboys. Sort of like a trappist single and czech pils.