Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Hoppy Water Carbonation  (Read 842 times)

Offline KyleFR

• 1st Kit
Hoppy Water Carbonation
« on: July 18, 2021, 06:25:55 pm »
Hey Y’all,

I’ve decided to give making hoppy water a try to help ease the craving for hops and also be a little easier on the liver. I’ve read a number of different recipes and methodologies on the web recently but none really discuss the proper level of carbonation. Anyone with experience have some suggestions on how to properly carbonate this with a kegerator set up? Approximate volume of CO2? Cheers!

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Hoppy Water Carbonation
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2021, 08:29:58 am »
I'm not an fan of hop water, but I do keep a keg of carbed water around. I usually go for 50-60 psi :
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Cliffs

• Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2021, 11:53:37 am »
like denny said, very high carb, I also like my carbonated water very mineralized.

Offline KyleFR

• 1st Kit
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2021, 07:03:46 pm »
Thanks for the feedback. Do you lengthen your serving lines to accommodate for those high pressures or just carbonate to those pressures and then turn down to serve? Would carbonating then reducing the pressure eventually lead to pressure equalization or do you not worry about that?

I ask because I have my system set up to serve most beers at 40F with a serving pressure of about 12psi with adequate carbonation (IMO). I’m confused that at the same temperature and serving line length the water will blast out. Can I carbonate and then reduce to serving pressure without worry of the volume of CO2 dropping? Thanks.