Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Hopped up Pale Ale with moderate abv.  (Read 1563 times)

Offline Handsome_Pat

• 1st Kit
Hopped up Pale Ale with moderate abv.
« on: November 04, 2015, 05:29:10 am »
I have 9 oz of simcoe, so I want to do atleast one single hop beer with them for my hophead wife.
I mash outside but I am boiling inside, so my batch size is limited.

for 3 gallons:

4.5lbs of 2row
1lb of Munich

Mashed at ~150F for 45-60 minutes in 2.5 gallons of water.
Sparge with 2 gallons of water at ~168F

60 minute boil:
Simcoe .5oz First Wort Hop (11.1 AA)
Simcoe .5oz 15minutes (11.1 AA)
Simcoe 1oz 5minutes (11.1 AA)
Simcoe 1oz Flameout (11.1 AA)

25minute hopstand

Ferment with US-05 at 65F

Dryhop-3oz simcoe

things that i've been struggling with:
my hopschedule, I want the IBUs ~70 to 80

and yeast choice.

Offline Iliff Ave

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Hopped up Pale Ale with moderate abv.
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2015, 07:10:16 am »
So you don't have as many IBUs as you want? If you want 70-80 then I would just make an IPA.

I think the recipe looks good and hoppy for a pale ale.

EDIT: I see what you are going after from another post; the 'style' that not be named so an IPA is probably out of the question. 70-80 IBUs is too much in my opinion for an APA. Just keep a lot of your hops at the end of boil so you can pack in all the hop goodness without too much bitterness.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2015, 07:23:45 am by goschman »
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline troybinso

• Brewer
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2015, 07:41:45 am »
Not sure what your original gravity is going to be, but I agree that 60 IBU is way too much. With a bunch of late hops in my setup I still get quite a bit of bitterness and I have taken to using the 15 minute hop addition as my "bittering addition" for my I.S.A.

Again, depending on the strength of the beer, you can probably do away with the FWH and move those hops to later in the boil. The O.G. on my "hopped up pale ale with moderate abv" is 1.040.

Offline BrodyR

• Brewmaster
  • Philadelphia, PA
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2015, 07:54:26 am »
This is a style I love - Agreed that with a lower pale ale gravity it's easy to overdue the bitterness, I certainly have before. Lately I get all my IBUs (around 30 for a 1.040ish beer) at 60m with and do a long hopstand at 170f with ~0.5oz/gallon then dry hop with 1oz (or more)/gallon and have been a lot happier.

With yeast it depends what you're going for. My inspiration for the style is the hoppy pale ales from Tired Hands and Vermont so I like using english ale strains (London Ale III from Boddingtons is the rumored strain HFS + Tired Hands use but never confirmed) and Conan. S-05 does the trick though.

Munich should be a nice touch, I also love 15% flaked oats or wheat in this style.

Offline Handsome_Pat

• 1st Kit
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2015, 08:36:19 am »
Not sure what your original gravity is going to be, but I agree that 60 IBU is way too much. With a bunch of late hops in my setup I still get quite a bit of bitterness and I have taken to using the 15 minute hop addition as my "bittering addition" for my I.S.A.

Again, depending on the strength of the beer, you can probably do away with the FWH and move those hops to later in the boil. The O.G. on my "hopped up pale ale with moderate abv" is 1.040.

Im still honing in my efficiency with my system, but I think this will be closer to 1.050