Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: My first blonde ale recipe - any thoughts? *revised*  (Read 3681 times)

Offline safedude

• 1st Kit
Re: My first blonde ale recipe - any thoughts? *revised*
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2015, 06:17:42 pm »
No one has mentioned that the Belgium yeast will make a beer with some to lots of spicy flavor. The amount of spice (think cloves) will increase with the fermentation temperature.

That doesn't mean the beer will be bad. Belgium beers are great, but, the spicy flavor can be a shock to the system if you aren't expecting it.

I had no idea.  That's pretty interesting.  What would you consider to be a high temp for brewing a Belgium?

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2015, 06:26:00 pm »
No one has mentioned that the Belgium yeast will make a beer with some to lots of spicy flavor. The amount of spice (think cloves) will increase with the fermentation temperature.

That doesn't mean the beer will be bad. Belgium beers are great, but, the spicy flavor can be a shock to the system if you aren't expecting it.

I had no idea.  That's pretty interesting.  What would you consider to be a high temp for brewing a Belgium?

Most Belgian strains are best started @ 64-65F-ish and allowed to slowly rise IMO, to give the right balance of esters and keep them from overpowering. Saison strains can be fermented a bit warmer.
Jon H.

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2015, 08:56:43 am »
If your primary goal is to ferment under warm temperature then a saison strain would be the most forgiving solution. Saison strains easily ferment into the 90s and are least prone to throw unpleasant fermentation compounds in the 70s where you plan to ferment. Other Belgian strains can be more temperamental especially if underpitched and jammed into the 70s without a cooler startup. But none of these strains make sense if they are not within a style of beer you enjoy.

3522 is a peppery yeast that gives the A'Chouffe beers their unique flavor among Belgian beers. I'm not sure if there is a commercially available version of Allagash's house yeast but I feel confident 3522 is probably not close. I'd think about 3787 (Westmalle) or 1214 (Chimay) or 1762 (Rochefort) over 3522 especially if you are unfamiliar with A'Chouffe beers.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2015, 09:10:31 am by reverseapachemaster »
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2015, 10:11:43 am »
Actually, for fermenting at warm temps, US05 is a good choice.  it's also cheap and easy and would make the kind of blond ale the OP is likely looking for.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2015, 10:18:05 am »
Actually, for fermenting at warm temps, US05 is a good choice.  it's also cheap and easy and would make the kind of blond ale the OP is likely looking for.

I agree with this. US05 is super forgiving except the commercial blonde example he provided is Belgian.
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline safedude

• 1st Kit
« Reply #20 on: November 04, 2015, 10:22:31 am »

Hey thanks for the tip.  I'm still at a crossroads with yeast strains.  I'll do some more research on US05.  If I subbed that into my standing recipe, what type of beer would you consider it to be? 

Offline safedude

• 1st Kit
« Reply #21 on: November 04, 2015, 10:25:45 am »
If your primary goal is to ferment under warm temperature then a saison strain would be the most forgiving solution. Saison strains easily ferment into the 90s and are least prone to throw unpleasant fermentation compounds in the 70s where you plan to ferment. Other Belgian strains can be more temperamental especially if underpitched and jammed into the 70s without a cooler startup. But none of these strains make sense if they are not within a style of beer you enjoy.

3522 is a peppery yeast that gives the A'Chouffe beers their unique flavor among Belgian beers. I'm not sure if there is a commercially available version of Allagash's house yeast but I feel confident 3522 is probably not close. I'd think about 3787 (Westmalle) or 1214 (Chimay) or 1762 (Rochefort) over 3522 especially if you are unfamiliar with A'Chouffe beers.

The more I sit here, the more I'm straying away from the 3522.  If I sub in the 3787, would my recipe still be considered a blonde ale?  Also, I'm worried this yeast might give off too much fruitiness.  I'm expecting some since it's a Belgian ale being fermented warm, but I read somewhere 3787 has strong fruity characteristics.  Now I'm thinking about the US05.  Any thoughts?   

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #22 on: November 04, 2015, 10:28:47 am »

The more I sit here, the more I'm straying away from the 3522.  If I sub in the 3787, would my recipe still be considered a blonde ale?  Also, I'm worried this yeast might give off too much fruitiness.  I'm expecting some since it's a Belgian ale being fermented warm, but I read somewhere 3787 has strong fruity characteristics.  Now I'm thinking about the US05.  Any thoughts?   

Basically it all comes down to whether you want an American or a Belgian style beer. I have used US05 as high as 75F with no problems. It is a very forgiving yeast that will make a clean beer.
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #23 on: November 04, 2015, 10:31:30 am »
And OP - for the record, Wyeast 1056 = White Labs 001 = US05. Same strain.
Jon H.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #24 on: November 04, 2015, 11:23:06 am »

Hey thanks for the tip.  I'm still at a crossroads with yeast strains.  I'll do some more research on US05.  If I subbed that into my standing recipe, what type of beer would you consider it to be?

A hell of a lot closer to a blond ale than you'd get with 3522!  ;)
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell