Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: fermentation temps after 72 hrs  (Read 1125 times)

Offline grainy one

• 1st Kit
fermentation temps after 72 hrs
« on: November 05, 2015, 11:54:25 am »
Hi all, the grainy one here. I'm working on a bio but have a question witch is taking priority. Right now I can keep my fermentation temps between 62-65 for three days but sooner or later I must go to work and will not be able to closely  monitor the temps. I do not have nothen but a porch witch is not heated so adjusting the temp in there is easy to do with a small heater or an open window. I'm not going to buy a temp controller and a fridge"no room". I can easily babysit untill the yeast slow down "3-4 days" but after that I'm worried about temp reaching 70. The 05 yeast should be ok I'm just worried about letting the temps creep up after 4days and getting off flavors. Just to let everyone know I can't use ice bath or a tub big enough to do any good I wont be around to watch it and we don't want the yeast to go to sleep to soon. So will off flavors show up at the end if temps get to 70 after the bulk of activity is over?

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
Re: fermentation temps after 72 hrs
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2015, 11:57:32 am »
Hi all, the grainy one here. I'm working on a bio but have a question witch is taking priority. Right now I can keep my fermentation temps between 62-65 for three days but sooner or later I must go to work and will not be able to closely  monitor the temps. I do not have nothen but a porch witch is not heated so adjusting the temp in there is easy to do with a small heater or an open window. I'm not going to buy a temp controller and a fridge"no room". I can easily babysit untill the yeast slow down "3-4 days" but after that I'm worried about temp reaching 70. The 05 yeast should be ok I'm just worried about letting the temps creep up after 4days and getting off flavors. Just to let everyone know I can't use ice bath or a tub big enough to do any good I wont be around to watch it and we don't want the yeast to go to sleep to soon. So will off flavors show up at the end if temps get to 70 after the bulk of activity is over?

this yeast -3 days temp control should be pretty good for you. most of heavy fermentation should be done and as long as its not really warm ambient temp where you are fermenting, it shouldn't be as much concern.
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Harveys-Brewhaus/405092862905115

http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?title=The_Science_of_Mashing

Serving:        In Process:
Vienna IPA          O'Fest
Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next:
Ger Pils
O'Fest

Offline kramerog

• Brewmaster General
    • My LinkedIn page
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2015, 11:58:25 am »
+1 to wort-hog.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2015, 01:59:23 pm »
Agreed with the above - if you can hold an ale in that range for 2-3 days it'll be fine.  I'd hold off on making lagers this way, though 2124 is pretty forgiving temp wise.
Jon H.

Offline dilluh98

• Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2015, 02:07:26 pm »
Yup. I didn't make an ale without some sort of off flavor until I, at the very least, got the first 3 days of temps in the mid-60s consistently. Even just the first two days followed by a slow ambient ramp (wrap it up with a sleeping bag if you can before you need to leave for work) to whatever temp room is will make a big difference. This is a bit of generalizing though as some yeast strains may require a bit more 'babying' in the first week.

The worst batch of beer I ever made was a pale ale that I pitched WLP001 at 75F and let it ride to 80F for 2 weeks. Only beer I've ever dumped.

Offline grainy one

• 1st Kit
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2015, 03:02:22 pm »
Thanks all for your replies'. I normally do my fermenting in a basement where the temps are stable but don't have that luxury any more. With adversity, ingenuity strives especially with a little help from
your friends. "brewing is an art form not just science".