Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Wort Split: Single + Czech Pils  (Read 1325 times)

Offline BrodyR

• Brewmaster
  • Philadelphia, PA
Wort Split: Single + Czech Pils
« on: November 03, 2015, 05:15:53 pm »
After seeing that Smash Trappist Single/pattersbier in Zymurgy (Saaz & Pils) I had a cool idea. Splitting a 90% Pils, 5% Carahell, 5% Munich wort hopped with Saaz in two carboys and fermenting one with Czech Lager yeast and the other with WLP 530 (Abbey Ale).

I'm thinking it would be a fun side by side in the kegerator. Just curious if anyones tried anything similar or had any tips/inputs for what I'm going for.

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
Re: Wort Split: Single + Czech Pils
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2015, 08:34:39 am »
I think it's a good idea. The only problem I see running into is deciding how to build the water profile. The Czech pils wants a soft water profile while the single could probably go for a more flavor-forward profile. You could probably make adjustments post boil/fermentation to the single for flavor.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline BrodyR

• Brewmaster
  • Philadelphia, PA
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2015, 10:47:29 am »
I think it's a good idea. The only problem I see running into is deciding how to build the water profile. The Czech pils wants a soft water profile while the single could probably go for a more flavor-forward profile. You could probably make adjustments post boil/fermentation to the single for flavor.

I've had the same thought running through my head - was thinking about adding a bit of calcium (gypsum and/or CaCl) to the Single's carboy to get the calcium above 50ppm and add a bit more to the water. In hindsight it may have made more sense to go for more of a German Pils with harder water.

Bought the grain today, picked up some free czech yeast fresh from a vienna lager from a local brewpub, and ended up going for Safbrew Abbaye. Going to iron out the water and prep today then brew tomorrow morning.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2015, 11:16:26 am »
Do you know specifically which Czech lager strain it is? Budvar is the only one I've used that I think wouldn't make a good German Pils. 2124 and 2278 will make a fine German Pils if managed appropriately.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline BrodyR

• Brewmaster
  • Philadelphia, PA
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2015, 11:48:07 am »
Do you know specifically which Czech lager strain it is? Budvar is the only one I've used that I think wouldn't make a good German Pils. 2124 and 2278 will make a fine German Pils if managed appropriately.

He referred to it as Czechvar (my best guess is indeed Wyeast 2000 Budvar but not 100%). They use it for a Vienna and a light lager. I used it in a czech pils before but after a diacytel rest it was pretty damn neutral and cleaner than PU so I could see it being good beer if not ideal.

But I already bought the Saaz so I think I'll stick to soft water in the mash and add the calcium for the ale yeast after boil. Not really sure about Trappist water, I guess it varies by brewery - have to look into it tonight.

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2015, 11:55:48 am »
Not sure what you hope to do with the kettle additions entirely, but I would just use Brunwater's yellow malty designation for your Belgian.  But if you want something specific in terms of the yeast profile, you can alter it accordingly...such as sulfate for late hops/dry hops.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline charles1968

• Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2015, 07:28:06 am »
After seeing that Smash Trappist Single/pattersbier in Zymurgy (Saaz & Pils) I had a cool idea. Splitting a 90% Pils, 5% Carahell, 5% Munich wort hopped with Saaz in two carboys and fermenting one with Czech Lager yeast and the other with WLP 530 (Abbey Ale).

I'm thinking it would be a fun side by side in the kegerator. Just curious if anyones tried anything similar or had any tips/inputs for what I'm going for.

I did very similar splitting 100% pilsner wort between pilsner urquell (wlp800), wlp500 trappist, wlp029 kolsch, wyeast 3711 saison. The PU batch was great, kolsch was very good, saison was fantastic, wlp500 disappointing (yeast was probably off). I'll definitely try again with different belgians and lager yeasts. Much more fun than brewing a single batch of something.

Offline BrodyR

• Brewmaster
  • Philadelphia, PA
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2015, 08:38:37 am »

I did very similar splitting 100% pilsner wort between pilsner urquell (wlp800), wlp500 trappist, wlp029 kolsch, wyeast 3711 saison. The PU batch was great, kolsch was very good, saison was fantastic, wlp500 disappointing (yeast was probably off). I'll definitely try again with different belgians and lager yeasts. Much more fun than brewing a single batch of something.

Nice, sounds great