Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: New Bottle Filler Northern Brewer  (Read 4207 times)

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
New Bottle Filler Northern Brewer
« on: November 03, 2015, 06:48:03 pm »
New beer gun like filler from Northern Brewer. A bit of a hybrid between Blichmann and a traditional spring loaded filler. CO2 purge on the handle and valve for beer flow at the bottom.

I would like to see a video of it in operation.

http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/the-last-straw-bottle-filler

http://www.northernbrewer.com/documentation/Last-Straw-Single-Page-V2.pdf

Offline toby

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Galvez, LA
    • Beer Judge Chronicles
Re: New Bottle Filler Northern Brewer
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2015, 08:48:58 am »
Northern Brewer seems to be doing a lot of Blichmann knock offs lately.  They take a Blichmann idea and come up with a cheaper version (in many cases because of compromised design or materials).  This doesn't look that bad, though.  But yeah, I would want to see a video of it in action before I spent money on one (a non-issue for me personally since I already have a beer gun).

Offline Stevie

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2015, 09:15:18 am »
I don't really see it as knocking stuff off. What else is "Blichmann inspired"? Both companies burners use an off the shelf banjo.

Many of their products are as expensive if not more expensive, this filler is an example of that. I do wonder if they are developing this stuff in house or working with a design and engineering firm.

The item they make that I really can't get behind is the Captain Crush. They are selling the plexiglass as a "feature" rather than a shortcoming, at a premium price to boot.

They do have what appear to be direct copies of better bottles with their standard "bubbler" line of fermenters.

Offline toby

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Galvez, LA
    • Beer Judge Chronicles
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2015, 11:09:07 am »
I don't really see it as knocking stuff off. What else is "Blichmann inspired"? Both companies burners use an off the shelf banjo.

Sure, but if you look at them side by side, they're pretty obviously similar.  If you want to call it 'inspired', no skin off my nose.

Many of their products are as expensive if not more expensive, this filler is an example of that.

The burner used to be significantly cheaper from what I recall.  This filler works out to the same price (although I could have sworn that the beer gun and accessory kit used to be closer to 120 together).

Offline Stevie

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2015, 11:15:15 am »
I thought the edelmetal was cheaper in the past as well. Now it's about on par. I'd likely opt for blichmann if I were in the market. Four legs are better than three, though three legs are better on slightly uneven ground.

Offline toby

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Galvez, LA
    • Beer Judge Chronicles
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2015, 02:03:16 pm »
I thought the edelmetal was cheaper in the past as well. Now it's about on par. I'd likely opt for blichmann if I were in the market. Four legs are better than three, though three legs are better on slightly uneven ground.

The legs and weight support were the things I never liked about it (full disclosure: I have KAB6s).  The legs on the Blichmann are what supports the weight straight down.  On the Edelmetall, the brackets are where the weight sits, and the legs are at an angle, so I wonder about how much weight they can support before they start buckling.  I have a 30 gallon boil kettle, and if I brew a 20 gallon batch (which I do for club brews sometimes), I wouldn't trust an Edelmetall to hold it with 25 gallons of wort.

Offline Stevie

« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2015, 02:14:56 pm »
They posted a video of a few very big guys standing on it, but I see what you mean regarding the bend in the leg.

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2015, 03:58:14 pm »
They do have what appear to be direct copies of better bottles with their standard "bubbler" line of fermenters.

Yeah.  I assumed that whatever patent BB had on their product expired in recent years, thus allowing a direct copy.

Though, I don't know that you can patent a PET bottle, so maybe it just took awhile before NB figured they could make more $$ on their own products.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2015, 05:13:34 pm »
What else is "Blichmann inspired"?

I think the NB Center of Gravity brew stand seems fairly similar to the Blichmann Top Tier stand, though there are differences.

http://www.northernbrewer.com/center-of-gravity-brewhouse

http://www.northernbrewer.com/blichmann-top-tier-modular-brewing-stand
Sometimes you just can't get enough - JAMC

Offline Stevie

« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2015, 05:21:03 pm »
No way. The top tier is way better with the t-rail.

Edit - the basic design has been around for years. More beer sells one and I have see home built many times.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2015, 05:51:07 pm by Steve in TX »

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2015, 06:01:42 pm »
When I saw the NB design, I wondered what the tip cleaning protocol is. Might be involved.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2015, 09:51:09 pm »
The NB bottle filter is supposed to the only filler that can be used at serving pressure. That is innovative.

I also think the big mouth bubblers are innovative.

In general, I see NB/Midwest as the Amazon of homebrew supplies. They want to dominate and are willing to innovate and replicate to do so.

I see Morebeer and AIH/AustinHB as two companies also trying to compete in the very large homebrew supply space. The more these 3 grow the harder it is for the LHBS's to survive. In some ways they are are the BMC  of homebrew supplies (with good customer service). The more these 3 grow the harder it is for the LHBS's to survive. But that's business.

Now that homebrewtalk (Homebrewsupply.com) is also in the homebrew supply business maybe we will have a 4th big player.

Offline Stevie

« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2015, 10:34:01 pm »
AiH and Austin are connected? If so, that's new to me.

I don't think LHBSs need to worry, at least not until I can get free shipping on full sacks.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2015, 10:36:07 pm by Steve in TX »

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2015, 12:01:34 am »
AiH and Austin are connected? If so, that's new to me.

I don't think LHBSs need to worry, at least not until I can get free shipping on full sacks.
AiH bought AHBS. The previous owner was starting a Brewery.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline Stevie

« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2015, 05:57:41 am »
Wow. Hopefully they can bring some parity to their prices. Austin has always seemed a bit expensive to me.