Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: priming boil and cool question  (Read 841 times)

Offline peteck36

• 1st Kit
priming boil and cool question
« on: November 06, 2015, 11:29:50 am »
Hi,

I've read about a million different perspectives on how long you should boil the priming solution, and to what temperature it should be cooled before you add it to the bottling bucket.  Any thoughts here on what the right answer is?  Or is there?

Thanks in advance

Peter

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: priming boil and cool question
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2015, 11:31:44 am »
I boil just for a minute to make sure the sugar is dissolved.  That's all that's needed.  I don't cool it at all....pour it into the bottling bucket and rack the beer on top.  That'll cool it immediately.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline pete b

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Barre, Ma
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2015, 11:42:22 am »
I boil just for a minute to make sure the sugar is dissolved.  That's all that's needed.  I don't cool it at all....pour it into the bottling bucket and rack the beer on top.  That'll cool it immediately.
That's exactly what I have been doing for the past year or so. Easy and effective.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2015, 12:07:39 pm »
That's exactly what I have been doing for the past year or so. Easy and effective.
I do something pretty similar. I start racking with the tube running around the outside of my bottling bucket. this way the beer coming in swirls around the bucket. Once there's an inch or so of beer in the bucket I add my boiled sugar solution. This does a good job of mixing it well, and I don't worry about most of the sugar staying on the bottom of the bucket.

I add my sugar to about a cup of water in a mason jar, then microwave it for 2 minutes to dissolve.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline peteck36

• 1st Kit
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2015, 09:13:45 am »
thanks all!